fuel problems

waterside114

Recruit
Thread starter
Joined
Sep 8, 2006
Messages
2
Had water in gas tank, replaced tank with fresh gas, engine starts, runs, idles well, will not run under load. Gas enters fuel filter only when primed, then filter empties and engine stalls. No gas comes into filter until primed again. any suggestions as to problem? thanks, Waterside114
 

eurolarva

Rear Admiral
Joined
Jun 24, 2003
Messages
4,182
Re: fuel problems

Need a motor id. Model number, make and horse power.
 

waterside114

Recruit
Thread starter
Joined
Sep 8, 2006
Messages
2
Re: fuel problems

Regarding fuel problems, sorry I didn't give info regarding Make, and year, it is a 1985 Force, 85 HP outboard motor. Waterside114
 

eurolarva

Rear Admiral
Joined
Jun 24, 2003
Messages
4,182
Re: fuel problems

Sounds like one of the check valves in either the fuel pump or the primer bulb may be giving you grief. I would rebuild the fuel pump and replace the primer bulb and see if that helps. If water got into the carbs you may have a problem in there as well. The best thing to do when you know there is gas in the tank is remove the problem, disconnect the fuel line to one of the carbs and pump fuel till all the water is out of the line. If it were me I would get a diaphram for the pump and a new primer bulb. If that dont fix it next I would replace all three check valves in the pump and rebuild all the carbs.
 
Top