Fuel primer solenoid problems? (AKA "The little red lever")

jwd000

Cadet
Hi guys,

Spent a frustrating (and fruitless) Sunday trying to get the boat started (1997 Evinrude 90HP).

When I was trying to start it I was pushing the key in a few times so I thought I may have flooded the engine. Waiting for a while and removing and cleaning the plugs did not help at all.

When I got home I was looking at the engine again and saw the little red lever on the fuel solenoid. Thinking "what does this do" I twisted it into the PIC2 position then back to the PIC1 position. I heard a small "click" when I did this.

The engine then started next crank.

Couple of other things I found once I had the engine going.

Pushing the key in while it was running did not give the usual burst of RPM but rather killed the motor.

Twisting the lever into the PIC2 position did the same thing.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to what may be happening here? I am wondering if the primer solenoid is sticking when it pumps fuel (thereby flooding the engine) and twsiting the lever allows it to release.

Thanks in advance

James

Attachments

• Pic 1.jpg
    Pic 1.jpg
    57.6 KB · Views: 11
  • Pic 2.jpg
    Pic 2.jpg
    58.2 KB · Views: 9

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Fuel primer solenoid problems? (AKA "The little red lever")

it is very possible, or the key switch is sticking, when you push it in. take your electrical tester, disconnect the purple wire to the solenoid, connect pos, to purple wire, and ground the other. have someone turn the key to "on" and them push it in. you should get 12 volts, release key should be nothing. if this test out, as such, the solenoid could be sticking. the 1st picture is the correct position for normal operation. second, is the manual "choke".

you can see parts diagram and breakdown, here, follow prompts.
http://shop2.evinrude.com/ext/index.aspx?s1=bf6ad09c53cead335fcfd8a6471c0f7f

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

Actually your primer is working as it should. The red lever is the manual release for the solenoid. The normal position is pic1. The manual "on" position is pic2. In the manual "on" position it will allow fuel into the motor all the time therefore flooding it.

When in the normal position the solenoid operates only from pushing in the key. If the motor is idleing and you push the key in you're flooding the motor which will kill it, not let it rev up. Unless the motor is extremely lean and then the rev up would only be a split second before it floods anyway.

It sounds like the lever accidently got moved to the manual "on" position and became flooded. Then when it was switched back everything was fine.

jwd000

Cadet

Hi guys,

The weekend was less frustrating (I could get the engine started and we got to do our trip) but I still could not get the engine started first go with the key operated solenoid. I had to twist the red lever into the manual position, start the engine, then twist it back.

Couple of things I noticed while fiddling with the boat in the driveway with the cover off.

• Engine Model no: J90TLEND - (Johnson not Evinrude as previously mentioned). This has since been coverted to a 115hp

• When I push the key in I hear a faint click in the solenoid (I'm pretty sure I hear another click when I release the key but I could be wrong on this)
  • When I twist the red lever I also hear a click although it is louder

The first time I started the engine I had to use the manual setting (see above)

The second time I started the engine that day (after diving for 2 hours), some "choke" was required. I did not want to take the engine cover off at sea so I was able to get it going (eventually) by pushing the key in once then turning the key.

See the attched diagram (thanks for the links previously)

I am thinking that the solenoid works ok (by reason of hearing the "click" when I push the key) but am thinking that the valve mechanism assembly is jamming due to dirt/grit/corrosion etc. During the day when it is used frequently, the valve loosens up a little but after sitting around for a few days it sticks. Twisting the level manually provides a little more force and allows the valve to open properly.

Am I one the right track here or am I speaking rubbish?

Is it possible to unscrew the end cap (part 20) and diassemble the unit, clean it out, lube and replace? I don't have another gasket immediately handy so would only do this if I could get away with reusing the original one.

An alternative I was thinking of was could I lubricate the unit by putting some oil in through the shrader valve.

Hoping someone can help.

James

Attachments

• solenoid.jpg
    solenoid.jpg
    69.2 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

starting procedure: pump bulb till hard, fast idle lever all the way up. turn key to on postion, push in on key for an 8 count, holding key in turn to start, release key when it first fires, if it does not keep running, try again with out pushing key in, if no start, repump bulb, now turn key to start, hold key in for a 2 seconds, it should start. you may have to push the key in a time of to, until the motor warms and settles down. lower fast idle lever when it starts. also you need a fully charged battery, and clean connections, the starter has to turn that motor 300+- rpms for the motor to start.

mikesea

Lieutenant Commander

Like Tash said,but I often play with the choke when necessary as eng starts to die push in,you can push the key if a few times fow initial choke,or asd said hold it for a bit.8 seconds is what Tash said.If you hear the click,likely its working ok.

jwd000

Cadet

Thanks guys,

Pulled apart the end of the solenoid valve and had a look inside. the thing was totally spotless and worked fine. Reassembled it and followed Tashasdaddy's procedure for starting.

100% success! The motor caught after about 2 or 3 seconds all day long.

Turns out my biggest failing up to this point was not squeezing the bulb until it was hard. I was always scared of flooding the engine by squeezing it for too long.

The 8 second primer option was also something I wasn't doing enough of.

Now that I have an easy to perform reliable procedure, it is written in marker on the fibreglass next to the throttle.

I have confidence in my engine again :)

Thanks again!

James