Fuel Price Topic

rwise

Captain
Re: Fuel Price Topic

My prother has a 1960's Rambler with a 6 banger in it. He gets almost 60 miles to the gal. Got no power or get up and go (no wonder they wern't popular) but it gets there. The hybrids don't do any better.<br /><br />What you going to do? Stop driving? My gas hog holds 38 gal. of gas! I use 12 to 15 gal. per week. I keep it tuned up and filters changed, and when I get gas I don't look at the price. What's it matter, I have to have it to get to work, period. They know that, like it or not we will pay what ever they charge us for fuel. We may change our habits a little, but we'll pay it!<br /><br />just a thought! Richard

JGREGORY

Lieutenant

Was not disputing your point UU. Agree 100%. The point I was making that there is a difference between Europe and America fuel prices, and the reason behind it. Also, That we are products of our own design.<br /><br />The car I car pool with gets 30+ miles to the gal. But the truck gets 20. While I always need a tow vehicle (got to tow the boat, ya know!) I will always have a car that is fuel efficient.

SpinnerBait_Nut

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

You don't have to tell me about the price of gas.<br />With a fleet of 8 Astro vans and a Jeep that runs a mail route plus my own private vehicles, I know what it is for sure.<br /><br />All I can say is I'm glad mine(private ones) are diesel.<br />Right now about 40 cents cheaper on the gallon for it.

knobby

Chief Petty Officer

I'm pissed about it, then wifey comes home and says milk was $3.49 a gallon, damn cows are price gouging too.

cmyers_uk

Senior Chief Petty Officer

JG - Totally agree cars are necessary we all need one and a boat, then a big car to tow the boat!. <br /><br />Your correct tax accounts for 75% of the price of fuel overhere + Company car drivers are taxed on emmissions, more polluting engine more tax. The whole idea is to try and tempt us into buying more economical lower emmision cars. <br /><br />It works lots of people with big boats / cars convert there 4litre American engines to run on LPG gas because they cant afford to run them on petrol, cleaner emmisions same big engine.<br /><br />P.S you really wouldnt want to use our Pulic transport system either

LubeDude

Admiral

Originally posted by rwise:<br /> My prother has a 1960's Rambler with a 6 banger in it. He gets almost 60 miles to the gal.
B/S: It aint gonna happen!

Elmer Fudge

Lieutenant Commander

What i would like to know is with the propensity for federal legislation, why is there not an acceptable standard blend of fuel distributed nationally?

JGREGORY

Lieutenant

Chris, Glad to hear from the UK. And While you may be right I would not want to ride your Public Transportation system at least you have one. If they extended rail service to the Delaware along the major interstate corridor traffic would probably be cut by about a 1/3. (my guess). Alot of our traffic is from western New Jersey and eastern Pennsylvania heading to New York City and the surrounding urban areas. All funneling on a 3 lane interstate highway that the average speed is about 30 mph during rush hour in the morning. The United States is totally inadequate for other forms of transportation. <br /><br />If we had it we all could have bigger boats to fill up. ;)

BinLurkin

Petty Officer 2nd Class

It is up to $2.19 a gallon here in the Monterey Salinas area at the cheap joints, Beacon & Arco. Any other stations it's $2.29 or more.

jee70611

Petty Officer 1st Class

Around here, diesel prices haven't budged as far as I can tell. That would exempt the local truckers from noticing it. The gas prices are at like $1.83 for regular. I deliver pizzas and I can tell you that gas was eating a hole in my pocket big time. We have to pay for everything that has to do with our cars ourselves. I was spending over $80.00 to $90.00 a week in gas. Now since I bought a little diesel car I cut that in half. Hopefully soon I'll start making my own biodiesel for about 40 cents a gallon :D . I shoulda done that a LOOONNNG time ago. To some of you on here that $80.00 may not seem like much, but when you're trying to make it on tips and minimum wage it is a lot. Especially when you deliver one all the way to the boon docks and have people who don't tip you or that tip you a paltry amount like $1.00 or less. With gas the way it is now, that doesn't even begin to cover your costs to take it.

LubeDude

Admiral

Diesel is $2.31 here on the oregon coast. Regular is $2.29. Cocidering it costs much less to produce diesel, I think that is a travisty.

Dave Abrahamson

Lieutenant

That same chain letter circulates via e-mail everytime there is a spike in gas prices at the pump for at least the last 5 or 6 years. Next thing you know, there will be a post about how Microsoft will track your e-mail and give you $234.74 for everyone you forward it to bla bla bla<br />No more sensless chain letters please (or you will have bad luck for 7 years :p )

MrBill

Senior Chief Petty Officer

There are a lot of folks who can't understand how we came to have an oil shortage here in America.<br /><br />Well, there's a very simple answer. Nobody bothered to check the oil.<br /><br />We just didn't know we were getting low. The reason for that is purely geographical.<br /><br />All our oil is in Alaska, Texas, California, and Oklahoma.<br /><br />All our dipsticks are in Washington, DC.

LadyFish

Admiral

Right on Mr.Bill.
clap2.gif

briannh1234

Petty Officer 1st Class

So you want to stick it to the oil companies - but a one day gas-out will not work. But try this idea - Make May 19 national change your oil, plugs, and air filter day. You car will start using less gas and the effects should last most of the summer.<br /><br />Now if you send this to seven people ....