Fuel Price Topic

KCLOST

Commander
Worth a try....<br /><br />IT HAS BEEN CALCULATED THAT IF EVERYONE IN THE UNITED STATES DID NOT PURCHASE A DROP OF GASOLINE FOR ONE DAY AND ALL AT THE SAME TIME, THE OIL COMPANIES WOULD CHOKE ON THEIR STOCKPILES. AT THE SAME TIME IT WOULD HIT THE ENTIRE INDUSTRY WITH A NET LOSS OF OVER 4.6 BILLION DOLLARS WHICH AFFECTS THE BOTTOM LINES OF THE OIL COMPANIES. THEREFORE MAY 19TH HAS BEEN FORMALLY DECLARED STICK IT TO THEM DAY AND THE PEOPLE OF THIS NATION SHOULD NOT BUY A SINGLE DROP OF GASOLINE THAT DAY. THE ONLY WAY THIS CAN BE DONE IS IF YOU FORWARD THIS E-MAIL TO AS MANY PEOPLE AS YOU CAN AND AS QUICKLY AS YOU CAN TO GET THE WORD OUT. WAITING ON THIS ADMIINSTRATION TO STEP IN AND CONTROL THE PRICES IS NOT GOING TO HAPPEN. WHAT HAPPENED TO THE REDUCTION AND CONTROL IN PRICES THAT THE ARAB NATIONS PROMISED TWO WEEKS AGO? REMEMBER ONE THING, NOT ONLY IS THE PRICE OF GASOLINE GOING UP BUT AT THE SAME TIME AIRLINES ARE FORCED TO RAISE THEIR PRICES, TRUCKING COMPANIES ARE FORCED TO RAISE THEIR PRICES WHICH EFFECTS PRICES ON EVERYTHING THAT IS SHIPPED. THINGS LIKE FOOD, CLOTHING, BUILDING MATERIALS, MEDICAL SUPPLIES ETC. WHO PAYS IN THE END? WE DO! WE CAN MAKE A DIFFERENCE. IF THEY DON'T GET THE MESSAGE AFTER ONE DAY, WE WILL DO IT AGAIN AND AGAIN. SO DO YOUR PART AND SPREAD THE WORD. FORWARD THIS EMAIL TO EVERYONE YOU KNOW. MARK YOUR CALENDARS AND MAKE MAY 19TH A DAY THAT THE CITIZENS OF THE UNITED STATES SAY ENOUGH IS ENOUGH

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Fuel Price Topic

Hogwash!!<br /><br />Moving to DC

cmyers_uk

Senior Chief Petty Officer

What have you got to worry about? over in the UK we pay $6.75 approx per gallon of unleaded. When I went to fill up my boat on the river it was $9.2 a gallon!

LubeDude

Admiral

I dont know about a fuel boycot, but I will say this.<br /><br />If the truckers would just pull over to the side of the road untill something was done, this country would come to its knees in a hurry.

suzuki115

Seaman

I will do it unless I need to put fuel into one of my vehicles or boat on that day, then you will have to count me out.

Terry H

Lieutenant Commander

How about carpool and don't drive that gashog as much...stay home and enjoy the family a few extra days every month...that'll surely hurt'em...<br /> :cool:

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral

Is the gas prices really hurting you THAT much???<br /><br />Truckers, yes, it is hurting, but not the average consumer.<br /><br />Market forces are the only solution. Having the government step in will not solve anything.<br /><br />P.S. This price in crease is NOTHING compared to that which occured in the 70s. And we all survived that.<br /><br />Ken

kcole683

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Every little bit counts . Ill go for it.<br /><br />I think the point here is the oil companies are recording record high profits but yet still raising our fuel prices, which is the one thing you can do to screw up the economy.............Meanwhile the federal government keeps dumping hundreds of thousands of barrels of oil into the strategic oil reserve which is nearly full anyway.

Dunaruna

Admiral

Won't work. It will force everyone to fill up the day before or stay home in which case the financial losses would hit every industry.<br /><br />Aldo

LubeDude

Admiral

Lets see, How much is it actually hurting me?<br /><br />I drive about 30 miles a day to work and back, My truck gets about 19 MPG, so a little over 1.5 gallons a day.<br /><br />at $1.75 a gallon, that would be about $2.65 a day or $53.00 a month.<br /><br />At $2.30 a gallon, that would be about $3.45 a day or $69.00 a month.<br /><br />An extra $16.00 a month. Thats just going to work.<br /><br />I guess I can absorb that.<br /><br />Now, my boat, Its going to cost me $23.00 for 10 gallons instead of $17.50, $5.50 difference. Now I have spent $28.50, but I will probably use double that in the boat per month so lets make it $34.00. Now all I have done is go to work and back and go fishing a few times. Without going into it farther, Im guessing it is going to cost me $50.00+ more a month. May not be much for some, but it is a lot for me. <br /><br />So who is it going to hurt? I sure will not go out to eat near as much, I wont be going for rides with the misss very often.<br /><br />HHHMMMMMMMMMM!!

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral

Originally posted by spark-chaser:<br /> Every little bit counts . Ill go for it.<br /><br />I think the point here is the oil companies are recording record high profits but yet still raising our fuel prices, which is the one thing you can do to screw up the economy.............Meanwhile the federal government keeps dumping hundreds of thousands of barrels of oil into the strategic oil reserve which is nearly full anyway.
I beg you to read beyond the headlines and dont allow the idiot media to provide you with facts.<br /><br />Gas and oil prices are set on the open market. The only thing that sets these prices is supply and demand or speculation of supply and demand. NOTHING ELSE SETS THEM.<br /><br />And the strategic reserve is a drop in the bucket that will have zero effect on anything. Any talk about this subject is just political grandstanding.<br /><br />One last thing, the high gas prices are not what the oil companies want... Sure it is great in the short term, but when the high gas prices cause the world economy to slump, so too the gas prices will follow.<br /><br />And lubedude, yes, you and I are getting hit about the same amount every month, and to me that amount is painful. :( But, how the heck could I possibly change anything. The idea from the first post will not have any effect at all.<br /><br />ken

Homerr

Commander

Chris...<br /><br />I'm not trying to pick a fight or sound mean, but if you ask most Americans... they would say we don't give a rip about gas prices outside of our country!<br /><br />Most people I know cares about what's going on in their own back yard and not other countries. <br /><br />I see these posts time and time again, and the same old reply comes back... "Well over here in my country, the gas is " $xx.xx" <br /><br />So what? Your point is? Are you saying that we as Americans should pay the same prices you are?<br />If so, Why?<br /><br />American doesn't want to be nor HAVE to be like other countries. That's why we drive big gas hogs: Because we can.<br /><br />Again... not picking a fight... just stating my opinion!<br /><br />The only good thing I can see coming out of the gas prices is that the auto makers will be forced to make more efficient cars. They have the knowledge. They've had it for years.<br /><br />If I have the money when they get here, sign me up for a hybrid car! (Saves gas for my big V8-ozone-depleting boat) !!! <br /><br />LOL!<br /><br /><br />As far as the gas-out? I'm in, but it won't work.<br />If you skip one day, that just means you'll have to buy more gas the next.<br /><br />If you want to hit the oil companies where it hurts, simply don't use as much and get more efficient cars.<br /><br /><br />H.

cmyers_uk

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Homerr,<br /><br />The point is this my 4.3GL American engine produces 190 BHP. My Jap engine pumps out 280HP out of a 2 litre using much less fuel. The government over here taxes the petrol forcing maufacturers to come up with efficient cars and ensuring people buy them because they cant afford not to. Therefore the finite worlds resources last longer, the emmissions are less so the environment is better off. <br /><br />Again not wanting to pick a fight but I think it would be niaive to assume that the two gulf wars had nothing todo with securing oil supplies and that has cost the US taxpayer over $100 billion and many lives on all sides.<br /><br />Finally its worth bothering about whats going on in other countries because things they do can effect you. Look at chernobyl's fallout it wasnt restricted it went round the world. Global warming, terrorism etc.<br /><br />Still Head in the Sand it wont happen in our life time hey! ;)

Spidybot

Lieutenant Commander

It's like fighting the wind...<br /><br />Eventually even the US will have tho think more about energy consumption. So far the comsumption per person is several times the possible amount, if all consuming devices were replaced with the latest technology/most efficient.<br /><br />Household devices, fuel burning devices + + +<br /><br />Like it or not. It's beginning already and it's not hard to see which way it turns.

JGREGORY

Lieutenant

Fuel and cars have become a necessary evil in this country. Especially in places where there is no or very little public transportation. The way I understand Europe fuel prices the reason they are so expensive is the taxes on the product. But the taxes support your public transportation system, from which I understand is much better than anything we have here. <br /><br />I live in one of the most populated states (per square mile) in the nation and our public transportation system S*&ks. I would have to drive 25 miles just to get the train that would drop me off 3 miles from my office. From which there is no bus service to. My time is worth more than the savings and inconvenience of public transportation.<br /><br />I am in the situation of being able to car pool with the Admiral, Fortunately, it's only an extra 15 miles round trip and an extra 20 minutes to my drive. However, I was able to cut my gas bill by 2/3. <br /><br />Until this country makes a change in it's priorities, We as American's are married to our vehicles. And the oil producing countries & companies have us by the nads. <br /><br />What does burn me up is that the shortage of supply is being partially blamed on China because they are having an industrial revolution, Supported by the jobs that we are exporting over seas. <br /><br />Just my $.02

Spidybot

Lieutenant Commander

Yes - infra structure varies, also btween EU countries. Nevertheless - getting the most out the available energy is becoming a still bigger concern.<br /><br />My input was to draw attention to the fact, that efficency is important to all. As mentioned earlier in this post, <br /><br />"- good thing I can see coming out of the gas prices is that the auto makers will be forced to make more efficient cars. They have the knowledge. They've had it for years."<br /><br />Some car manufacturers have been practising this for years. Go check mpg figures and you'll notice big differences between the car makes.

muskyone

Master Chief Petty Officer

i use 20 gal of fuel a day ya it's killing me and i had to take a pay cut to boot