Fuel pressure guage fluctuating on 2000 year, 3500 dually 4 door crew cab?

Big Bubba

Senior Chief Petty Officer
I have another question about my new to me 2000, Chevrolet, 3500, dually 4 door crew cab, 7.4liter with 126,000 miles on it. Anyway, I am having a fuel level gauge fluctuating and miving from empty threw half full to full level and back to empty again and wondering what that can be. Could it be the fuel sending unit inside the fuel tank causing my fluctuating fuel guage issue in the cab, driver area? Any help/suggestions would be helpful.

rockyrude

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: Fuel pressure guage fluctuating on 2000 year, 3500 dually 4 door crew cab?

GM never baffled their gas tanks, the needle moving wildly is almost a GM trademark.

BTW Guess you don't need to worry about a bigger car anymore- huh?

dtj

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I have another question about my new to me 2000, Chevrolet, 3500, dually 4 door crew cab, 7.4liter with 126,000 miles on it. Anyway, I am having a fuel level gauge fluctuating and miving from empty threw half full to full level and back to empty again and wondering what that can be. Could it be the fuel sending unit inside the fuel tank causing my fluctuating fuel guage issue in the cab, driver area? Any help/suggestions would be helpful.

Yes to the fuel sending unit, drop the tank, check and replace if necessary.........Don

Idlespeedonly

It could be a bad stepper motor also.

Big Bubba

Idlespeedonly,
I never heard of a stepper motor, where is it located at and how can I test it?

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

You have one or two tanks in that truck? You need to look underneath to be absolutely sure since could have only one fuel fill.

TilliamWe

Banned

You have one or two tanks in that truck?

GM trucks have only had one tank, since they were redesigned, in 1987. I thought. They certainly haven't had "saddle" tanks since then, for sure. ANd I have never seen a stock Chevy with two fuel doors on the left.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

GM trucks have only had one tank, since they were redesigned, in 1987.
Depends if Suburbans qualify. My 2011 3/4T Suburban had two tanks with a transfer pump between the two. Still had only one fill opening.

My dad had this exact 2000 1T dually truck. I need to see what he had.

Sounds like fuel sender. Fuel sender and fuel pump are usually one unit if one tank. If you have the aux tank, then the aux tank will have a sender without the pump. You need to take a look underneath to see what you have. If you have a second tank, there will be a transfer pump that transfers fuel between the tanks.

TilliamWe

Banned

Depends if Suburbans qualify. My 2011 3/4T Suburban had two tanks with a transfer pump between the two. Still had only one fill opening...

Interesting, indeed. My dad's 97 3/4 ton burb did not have two tanks. When they changed frames, something must have prevented them from putting one large tank, so they went with two? I never knew that. Thanks for the info.