Fuel Panhandlers

JEBar

Chief Petty Officer
we travel cross country towing our camper and also make many long distance trips towing our boat .... haven't had it happen locally but several times while taking on fuel near an interstate, I've been approached by folks who are panhandling for fuel/gas money ... their story usually involves having to travel for an emergency, suffering unexpected expenses and needing money to buy gas .... the first couple of times I gave them some but with the number of times it has happened I've started wondering if it is some sort of nationwide scam .... much akin to folks stationing themselves near trucks stops, holding a sign, and asking for money .... the last time I was approached while filling our truck, the fellow asked for food money .... when I told him I'd take him inside and buy him the same hot dog I'd bought for myself, he wasn't interested in that, wanted cash .... for me it gets hard to help folks when you wonder if they are trying to take advantage of you .... just wondering how many other folks have seen this type of thing and how you respond to it

Jim

southkogs

Staff member
Re: Fuel Panhandlers

I've got a reasonable amount of experience with the homeless/beggars over the years, and from my experience you did exactly the correct thing. Even the rescue mission here in Nashville suggests meeting the "need" (fuel/food/etc.) rather than giving cash.

I've had it happen a number of times in the last few years where I offered to help by solving the problem rather than giving money. Most recently was a lady who needed help paying for the prescription for her dying grandson. I was (like you) at the gas pump when she approached me, and I offered to call the pharmacy and pay for the prescription (she said it was $20). She began crying and boohooing and wouldn't tell me which pharmacy to call, and I was starting to get frustrated with her. Then all of a sudden, a Sheriff cruiser pulls in the lot (he was actually just coming on shift and stopped for some coffee). Immediately, she stops crying and grumps, "don't worry about it" and takes off outta' the lot.

Do your best with benevolent intentions. Avoid giving straight cash (you're usually enabling rather than helping), and be emotionally prepared to get "taken" every once in a while.

... and don't feel bad when you say "no" on occasion.

tx1961whaler

Vice Admiral

Scam.
I attend a large church on a busy road. We often get people panhandling for gas money. Same deal, sob story, traveling across the country, etc. We have a deal with the Texaco down the street where we'll pay for some gas for them to get on their way if they show some ID (no repeats). We've had maybe three takers in the past 10 years......

ngt

Master Chief Petty Officer

I have a few rules...

Signs about "family in need" with no family in sight = no

Smoking = no ( you have $6 for smokes, you don't need my $ )

Signs about needing food, but only want $ = no

If the story is so crazy, its weird = no

If the sign is funny enough, maybe a couple of bucks, otherwise, only buy food.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

In my years in FL I was often approached with sad stories asking for a few bux. One of my students, a LEO, explained to me that the amount "needed" to solve the desperate need was usually the price of a drug fix, like one rock for example.

It seems that the territory for these pleas has moved to transients on the Interstates where my response technique ("Come, I will go with you to the grocery store/pharmacy/clinic/police station and pay for the problem solver.") is less likely.

The responses suggested above also seem likely to work, particularly the request for ID.

Fishing Dude too

Lieutenant Junior Grade

In our area see will work for food right accross from hamburger joint that has a big M that is always hiring

emoney

Commander

The wife and I have found out that I'm one of "those people" that has a face that says, "Hey, go ask THAT guy for $$". Either I look like a sucker or a compassionate person. I'm hoping it's the latter. Havng said all that, it means that wherever we go, and I mean every city we've ever visited, there can be 20 of us in a group and I'm the guy that the local panhandlers hit up. Couple that with the amount of "corporate panhandling" that takes place, meaning all the stores down here at least, that you walk into are taking up donations for some thing or another. I had a day last week that because of circumstances, I had to go into 1 gas station and 3 different stores. I was hit up 5 times (twice at one store) for money for this or that. Panhandling isn't just exclusive to the side of the road, i suppose.

Anyway, all of that to say that I've made a conscious decision to do all my charitable giving at one place. In my case, that's my church because we have all the foundations in place; i.e. Food Pantry, Addiction Rehab, Family Counseling, etc. I've been taught that it's much better to allow professionals to give where needed, so I just try and help fund those programs. My standard response when approached, on the street or in the store, is "Sorry, with debit cards these days, I don't carry cash" (which most of the time is true, lol). Anyone that looks hungry or down trodded, I do offer to transport them to a place that can help or point them in that direction. I've yet to have anyone take me up on that offer, but I figure I'm at least covering the base of the one sincere person that needs the help.

Yes, the "I don't have enough gas money to get home" thing is just another, "4 kids-No job-Will work for food" come-on. Where I'm from, we don't go somewhere without knowing we have enough $$/gas to get home.

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,.... Back in the late 80s, when I moved down to NYC for a couple of years,...

A study was done that showed the average panhandler in NYC was knockin' down, 'bout $80,000.00 a year...

That was when I thought I was doin' Ok, knockin' down $40,000. a year....

The street musicians, 'n stoplight vendors were makin' Twice what I was, 'n askin' for more....

Personally,.... I'll help 'bout anybody, 'n everybody, with anything But cash...

jay_merrill

Vice Admiral

Usually, it is a scam. Its pretty common around here at Walmarts - they roam the parking lot asking for money.

My response is simple and effective. If they say they need gas, I tell them to pull up to a pump or present a gas can. If they say they are hungry, I offer to buy food. Ninety nine times out of a hundred, they decline what is offered and go away.

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

Been approached on occasion in USA on my travels and Canadian big cities. See it as becoming a business along with the "will work for food" branch.
So hard to know what is or is not genuine therefore nobody gets anything. Sad to say it as we as a family have helped a lot of known genuine people and families out over the years. Have to have some proof before we will consider it.

panhandling is bad in my area. the police are trying to stop it especially in carparks but you might get the same story 3 times before even getting to the store. another trick they use is to threaten you once you have politly refused. "oh its because im b++++ thats why you wont help me, with all that stuff you bought you carnt tell me you have no money im calling my husband to sort you out....." next they wave over a guy whos been sitting on the curb.... to me this is the same as being robbed and thats not happening. now if there being funny or honest then im willing to give a few bucks for the laugh.

LippCJ7

Vice Admiral

JB is dead on, information we go on at the Sheriff's Office is that this can be a double edged sword of sorts, there are those that actually do this for a job, these are typically in upper middle class and up areas, and yes they can make pretty good money doing it but I can tell you that the prime corners can be pretty interesting, there have been several murders that were simply panhandlers arguing over a prime corner.

The other side is the Drug/Alcohol fix, while they may seem separate they are one in the same to us, simply begging for their vice of choice. Be careful though because once they have made you as a giving person, there have been cases where the pan handler has gradually gotten more aggressive, so please be careful.

southkogs

Staff member

...A study was done that showed the average panhandler in NYC was knockin' down, 'bout $80,000.00 a year...
I remember that study! I think there was a similar expos? at the time on a guy who was actually flying into NYC each week to panhandle. He lived outta' state in the suburbs.

...Its pretty common around here at Walmarts - they roam the parking lot asking for money...
That's starting up here too.

...another trick they use is to threaten you once you have politly refused...
Not liking the sound of that at all. That is robbery.

lexer440

Petty Officer 1st Class

If people didn't give there would be no panhandlers, like all business its supply and demand, we supply...

ngt

Master Chief Petty Officer

I remember that study! I think there was a similar expos? at the time on a guy who was actually flying into NYC each week to panhandle. He lived outta' state in the suburbs.

That's starting up here too.

Not liking the sound of that at all. That is robbery.

We have something like that down in Oakland near where the A's/Raiders play. It's for people that park outside of the stadium on a streets near by. Some big guy with a 40oz beer in a bag (yes, every time, but never the same guy, lol) would walk out from the warehouses and say "I'll watch your car for $5". You give him $5 and say, "thank a lot!" and go watch the game. If you don't give him the $5, you'll come back with a couple of bricks in a couple of windows. Parking in the staduim is $25, so I say it's a good deal. Is it right? no. Do I save enough on parking to buy a few overpriced cups of beer inside the game? yup.

generator12

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I was leaving a local grocery store recently, my arms loaded with a rack of ribs, a box of White Castle burgers, a large bag of chips, and a six-pack. I walked past a homeless guy sitting near the door, who said, "Mister, I haven't eaten in three days."

Not breaking stride, I said, "Man, I wish I had your will-power".

southkogs

Staff member

If people didn't give there would be no panhandlers, like all business its supply and demand, we supply...
... probably not completely. There's a reality to poverty. It's not as distinct here in the states, and certainly not as dire as people want to make it out to be. None the less, the reality is with us.

Interestingly, years ago I ran across a lady who was asking for food at an intersection (I had stopped with the windows down). For some reason she kinda' got to me a little and I offered to meet her over at the grocery store on the corner and buy her some food. She was one of the only people who I ever offered this too who seemed honestly grateful for the offer.

We went in and were chatting as we did. She said that I could choose what to buy, she didn't want to be picky. We settled on a few different things that she could make last and in the end I wound up spending about $30 dollars. By this time in the conversation this lady was explaining to me the hard few months she and her husband were going through, how bad she felt begging (but they hadn't eaten in a few days) and how hard her husband had been working to get back on track. I offered to drive her home and she gratefully accepted.

Her home was a 1/2 mile away. A little one-bedroom row house in Detroit, built probably in the 30's or 40's. We got inside and the place was bare - furniture was old barbershop waiting furniture, no TV, old diner table with the stainless stools in the kitchen - literally just the essentials. The amazing part: the place was so clean I would have willingly eaten off of any floor in the house. It was utterly spotless.

When I commented on how nice the house was kept, she explained, "We don't have very much. And at times we have less than that. But we need to take care of what we have."

Long story ... but in the end it did remind me that there are real people in need out there who are grateful for the help they receive. They are rather rare, but not non-existant.

Wind dog

Petty Officer 1st Class

Had a gal & guy pull up once as I was leaving the grocery store, same old story, "Hey can you help me & my boyfriend out, he's got to get to work but we don't have enough gas", etc, I gave them $10.00. The next week I see them again, same place. I watch them get some money from a lady, as they drive by me I look the girl right in the eye & shake my head. She flips me the bird as they drive by.

Another time I was in a company truck at a light in San Jose, two panhandlers start in with "come on , you work for _ _ _? you can aford to give us some money." I said sorry no I can't.

What I wanted to say was....... "I spend two hours a day in a car driving to this job I hate and work 40 hours a week to support my family, what makes you think I'm going to give you one stinking dime?"

Of coarse if I would have said that I might be looking for a job now myself.