fuel overflow line --- any way to avoid losing fuel

Re: fuel overflow line --- any way to avoid losing fuel

Where is your vent fitting in relation to the fuel filler - higher or lower? For example on my boat the thru hull vent fitting is about 2" higher than the filler fitting. If I overfill the gas comes back up the filler hose BEFORE it comes out of the vent.
If none of the above suggestions work for you, one option would be to replace the current vent line with a new one to a new vent fitting located at a higher point on the hull.

HopinImFloatin

Petty Officer 2nd Class

umm, picture came out wayyyy small but you get the idea, kind of like an "s"with a small upslope from the vent

ihaveabrownboat

Petty Officer 3rd Class

umm, picture came out wayyyy small but you get the idea, kind of like an "s"with a small upslope from the vent

That's close to what's there now. A little remains room to re-jig the line but only a little. Might accentuate the shape just a bit more. Will look again later.

oldjeep

Admiral

Where is your vent fitting in relation to the fuel filler - higher or lower? For example on my boat the thru hull vent fitting is about 2" higher than the filler fitting. If I overfill the gas comes back up the filler hose BEFORE it comes out of the vent.
If none of the above suggestions work for you, one option would be to replace the current vent line with a new one to a new vent fitting located at a higher point on the hull.

Most modern boats the vent is inside the fill cap just like on a car.

ihaveabrownboat

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Most modern boats the vent is inside the fill cap just like on a car.

Which, unfortunately, doesn't help a lot with this old rig. Would be nice of the vent and overflow could go right back down in to the tank when it surges.

Have found an option. It may not be a solution. But it's the closest thing to an option worth trying that I've seen so far. Have the part from the following link on order. May not know how well it works (or if it works) until the spring. But will be curious to know when the time comes.

http://www.iboats.com/Attwood-Fuel-...29398254--session_id.917995929--view_id.37945

oldjeep

Admiral

Which, unfortunately, doesn't help a lot with this old rig. Would be nice of the vent and overflow could go right back down in to the tank when it surges.

Doesn't help at all on the boats that have it. My old bayliner with the seperate vent puked a lot less than the one I have now. Plus with the vent in the fill you are pretty much guranteed a gas bath if you are holding the pump lever.

greenbush future

Lieutenant Commander

Every boat that I have owned with a tank which was under the deck or just permanent, would provide a tell tale gurgle before the gas would start coming out the vent on the side of my hull. All I do is pay attention to this and as I would know about how much fuel I was needing, I would just listen for this predictable sound. Usually I would be about a gallon or two, short of full, and this was enough to avoid the overfill mess. If you end up not being able to fix your rig, just don't fill it completely, it's not the best solution, but I have 27 gallon tank on 90 merc outboard, so 2-3 gallons isn't a show stopper either way.

superbenk

Commander

can't figure out how/where it is mounted

Jim

It replaces the thru-hull vent fitting. The hull end of the vent hose attaches to it.

nlain

Commander

Does it vent inside the boat or outside, looking at the picture it appears that it vents inside the boat, that it not good if it does that.

UncleWillie

Captain

Does it vent inside the boat or outside, looking at the picture it appears that it vents inside the boat, that it not good if it does that.

Fuel vents NEVER Vent inside the boat!

Fuel Fitting1.jpg

ihaveabrownboat

Petty Officer 3rd Class

http://www.iboats.com/P-Trap-Fuel-S...6750980--session_id.662827931--view_id.927963

Fuel vent fitting with surge protection (limits fuel burping out the fitting) and "P" trap (restricts water ingestion from outside).
Does not need a fuel tank vent line "loop".

Saw that fitting when I was looking. If starting from scratch would have gone with it also. The piece I did order (link shown several posts above) was an inline fuel surge protector. The piece you cited did that and the task of the thru-hull vent also. So if starting from scratch would've been the better option.

My vent is already in place though. The inline surge protector was half the price. And it'll be easier in my boat to cut the line insert the in-line piece than it would be to change the fitting in the hull. At least according to their advertising both parts address the original question though.