fuel/ mgmt /consumption

plugger

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Looking for some "BALLPARK" figures<br />for a johnson 115 carbed at different<br />rpm's pushing a 171 mako <br />assuming properly tuned/trimed <br /><br />@2500 =gph<br />@3500 =gph<br />@4500 =gph<br />The 4500 is not wot but in 4 years /seasons its never been pushed further because its fast enough....<br />Any harm in not opening it up for short bursts ?<br />Is there a chart that list this stuf<br />the manual is not being helpful

Hooty

Rear Admiral
Re: fuel/ mgmt /consumption

If you're feeding that engine a steady diet of those speeds, I hope you decarbon on a real regular basis. If you don't, those rings are gonna be a mess. That ole johnson would just love for you to hammer it up to 5600+rpm ever time you take it out. <br /><br />As to fuel consumption, I can't be much help with those rpm ranges but as a rule of thumb, at wot it'll burn 10% of it's rated hp in gals/hr. In other words. 115hp = 11.5 gph at wfo.<br /><br />c/6<br />Hooty

rbruce63

Petty Officer 1st Class

But Hooty why would you have excessive carbon build up if these Johnsons came with the economixer oil pump that proportions oil to fuel depending on engine load?

rwise

Captain

a lot of engine don't start opening the carb until 3/4 throtle. So you can usualy go to 3/4 throtle and use less fuel than at WOT, and not loose much speed. johny does like WOT!

Hooty

Rear Admiral

No so much carbon build-up but coking of the rings. Coking is caused by high combustion temperatures brought on by lugging the engine.<br /><br />c/6<br />Hooty

swist

Senior Chief Petty Officer

The 10% of HP seems like a good guess for WOT and full load - i.e., it's your worst case. My 225 when run at it's best cruise (somewhere around 4000 rpm, and 1/2 load) will go all the way down to 8 gph or so. So there is a huge range based on all kinds of factors. For one thing, fishing boats tend to have big tanks. I fill my 109 gal tank at 6 lb/gal and I am carrying 650+ lbs of gas around - that's as much as 3-4 people.....