fuel injection vs carb

markvan

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I am buying a new glastron gx255, the dealership has two in stock identical except one has the volvo 5.7l gxi (315hp) and the other has the volvo gx (280hp)..........any advice on service issues on either one? is the gxi worth the extra money?

markvan

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: fuel injection vs carb

sorry its the GI vs the GXI not GX

bossee

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Hi,<br />Volvo Penta (global) list the 5.7 DL (SX) as the model with carburators. 5.7 Gi and 5.GXi both has Fuel injection.<br /><br />Visit Volvo Penta homepage and read:<br /><br /> http://www.volvo.com/volvopenta/glo.../gasoline_sterndrive/57sx/productbulletin.htm <br /><br />Select the link "5.7/SX product bulletin" and the section in this PDF about the Fuel injection advantages. It is rather easy choise to me, fuel injection is the way to go (as all cars today) but it is a cost issue also I guess compared to a carburated model. What is the extra cost for 5.7 GXi?<br /><br />If You want even better acceleration etc a Duoprop is also an alternative:<br /><br /> http://www.volvo.com/volvopenta/glo...owerforleisureboats/gasoline_sterndrive/57dp/ <br /><br />Service: Fuel injection - probably not much service You can do on that system. Carburators - at least it is possible to service by a user but I would just let the dealer handle all service anyway. <br /><br />But as I understand it You have the choice between two Fuel injected models, 5.7 Gi and 5.7 GXi.<br />Ask the dealer if any difference in cost to do regular maintenance done by them on the 5.7 Gi vs 5.7 GXi.<br /><br />What is the diffrence between 5.7 Gi and 5.7 GXi?<br />Read in above 5.7/SX product bulletin.<br />As far as I can compare You get active corrossion protection as standard on 5.7 GXi. And the extra 40 hp.<br /><br />Nice boat by the way<br /> http://www.glastron.com/pages/Models/GX255.html <br />They even have managed to place a porta-pottie in there... can You actually sit in there or is is only a storage compartment for the porta-pottie? <br /><br />Happy boating!

Buttanic

For me the decision would depend on where I would be boating. If it was on sheltered waters such as small inland lakes and rivers I would go with the fuel injection. If it was offshore I would go with the carburator because of its simplicity and the ability to work on should a problem arise while at sea. I know others will disagree with this line of thinking but I feel I would have a much better chance of correcting a problem with a carburator than with fuel injection while at sea. As far a reliability goes I feel it is pretty much even between the two systems although in the case of fuel injection, anytime you subject a rather elaborate electrical system to a marine enviroment the chances of failure rise.

markvan

Petty Officer 2nd Class

thanks for the info Bo....great link. Must have been the salesman first day, I spoke to a Glastron dealer at a boat show about what they had in for stock and he said they had two one with the GXI and one with the Gi, when i asked him the difference he said one fuel injection and one is carb. Obviously worth a trip to the dealership to have a look for myself. From what I can recall I believe he said the price difference was about $2000+ US

KCook

Lieutenant Commander

The Canadian boat market may well be different from the US. But down here most shoppers would expect any 25' boat to have FI. Carb is more likely on an entry boat under 20'. So this may also affect resale.<br /><br />Kelly Cook

TilliamWe

Banned

Walleye, if the two horsepowers you listed are accurate, then both those Volvo engines are fuel injected. So, you have no dilemna there.<br />From eveything I have read & heard, that 5.7 Gi at 280 hp is really closer to 300 hp. In my opinion, it's Volvo's best bargain.

Realgun

Commander

The difference between EFI or Carb is the EFI allows a more precise fuel ratio.<br />The reason we see EFI on all cars it that too much raw fuel will kill a new cataletic converter.<br />ON a carb you have a quick squirt when you step or in my case stomp the accelerator.<br />On a boat your either going Fast or slow there is no stop and go boating! :D And no converter to go bad either. Only real advantage is on cold starts/idle might be easier/better.

bossee

Hi,<br />Buttanic gave a good point about Fuel injection vs Carburators. So keep that in mind when selecting the engine model.<br /><br />Anyway, the 5.7 Gi would probably be just fine for normal use. But check out with the dealer about the active corrossion protection, it might be a thing you want. You probably may be without the extra hp on the GXi unless You are a speed freak or usually have the boat loaded with many people. Check if the 5.7 Gi is available with Duoprop, that is probably a wise investment, not a must but nice to have.

BillP

Captain

I'm a pro carb guy because they are simple, easy to clean and have less electronics to deal with. Anyone can rebuild or clean a carb. However, FI meters better and normally gives better fuel mpg. If the shop you deal with is a mom and pop operation they may not have the computer and software for FI systems. Seems only big shops can afford the equipment.

markvan

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Well the decision is getting easier as they are both fuel injection, I am leaning towards the Gi. I am considering the duoprop BUT the lake I go to about 90% of the time is a rather shallow lake. The local prop shop does rather well. I guess my thinking is I would rather repair a single prop than two at a time. <br /><br />do the overall benefits of a duoprop out weigh the cost?

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner

The 2004 5.7 GS models are carbed and rated at 260. As mentioned earlier both the Gi and GiX are Multi port EFI. I was looking thru the parts book to find the differences, the cams, pistons, heads, exhaust manifolds, and intakes are all the same. The only thing that I could find that was different was the exhaust bellows. There isn't one on the GiX, just a short tube that lines up with the exhaust inlet of the outdrive. Only when the drive is fully trimed in does it exhaust thru the gearcase. Once you start triming up the exhaust is free to bypass the outdrive.

walleyehed

Admiral

Walleye, take a gander at the price to replace the duo-prop system.....spensive mothers.....

WillyBWright

Fleet Admiral

In my opinion ... DuoProp + Shallow Water = No. Not so much for the two props to rebuild as that middle propshaft sticking way out there saying "bend me". ;) <br /><br />I haven't seen that exhaust tube on a VP before. MerCruiser has that option as well if I'm picturing this right. That increases horsepower by reducing backpressure. It allows some exhaust pressure to escape rather than to force it out the bottom. It's like increasing exhaust pipe size on a car. You could put that on any motor and increase horsepower. But some setups rely on that backpressure to run most efficiently. You also get a bit more noise out of it as opposed to a bellows. But until you're on plane, it's not noticable. Even on plane it isn't much. (I'm using MerCruiser as an example, but I'm sure the same principles apply.)

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner

Newer Mercrusiers have a dry exhaust, volvo is still dumping water in the exhaust, this helps quiet it down lots. The "tube" is a 4 or 5 inch piece of hard rubber and can be installed in any SX drive, once the drive is removed from the boat. Rumours are the GiX has higher ratio rocker arms that the Gi, effectivly making for a longer camshaft duration.

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner

I checked the Volvo Parts book again today. As I said earlier, the heads, pistons, intake manifolds, exhaust manifolds, ignition modules, and camshafts are identical on the 5.7Gi and GiX. The only parts that are different are the rocker arms and pushrods.

seabuddy7

Cadet

On the water, the 320 Hp engine will run about one to two mph faster than the 280 Hp engine at WOT in this boat model. <br /><br />The hole shot (0 to 30 mph) will be the same for the average boater.

Reel Poor

Vice Admiral

Not sure but I thought the GI was throttle body injection and the GXI was multiport injected. My 5.0 GI is throttle body injected rated at 250hp and the new 5.0 GXI is multiport injected and rated at 270hp. Think its the same on 5.7 GI, TBI at 280hp, and GXI, MPI at 320hp

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner

In 2003, 2004, and 2005 The Gi and the Gix versions of the 5.0 and 5,7 engines are all a multi port. It might have been different prior to 2003.