Fuel Gauge wont read Full

timalabim

Seaman
I searched but couldn't find example of the problem I am having.
1996 Four Winns Horizon Fuel gauge doesn't go past 3/4 full.
Seems accurate at empty. Tested with new sender outside of tank with
arm pegged at full also shows same reading. Any way to calibrate?

vanshee

Cadet
Re: Fuel Gauge wont read Full

You might have a float sticking in the tank

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Uuummm. He tested the gauge with a new sender outside the tank raising the arm manually -- so nope it's not a stuck float. There is no way to calibrate the gauge as it's sealed. Sometimes the gauge will be damaged internally as the result of the boat taking a sharp jolt from hitting a wave. If the old sender measures 30 - 240 ohms as you sweep the foat arm through its travel, it is ok and the gauge is probably bad.

timalabim

Seaman

thanks for the replies. I don't think i can just replace the gauge either as it is a modular assembly. Guess I'll mark the new "full" position on the dial. Obviously not as crucial as knowing when near empty!

NSBCraig

Lieutenant Commander

Yeah you probably know when you just filled it.

It's the wondering when your out that's a problem.

timalabim

Seaman

Just an update.

Since I have a Lowrance X510c fish finder with NMEA 2000 capability. I got a Lowrance EP-65R Fuel Level sensor and N2K-EXP-RD-2 Network Starter Kit. Cost about $130 for the two items. Did the install last week using snap connectors which will let me switch back to the original connection to the dash fuel gauge if I don't have the fish finder in.

As soon as I turned on the system it told me that the level was at 88%. Once I did the setup and told it I had a 20 gallon tank, it also provided the readout in gallons as well at 17.6.

Looking at the tank, I can see the level and it looks about right, but I'm thinking that 88% would be about as high as the analog gauge in the dash ever got, so will it go to "full" if I put more fuel in? Sure enough when I added fuel, the reading went right up. 100% and 20 gallons with the tank just full.

Sweet success. I'll still mark the spot on the dash gauge that represents "full" there as well in case the fish finder isn't in.

Next will be to verify the "empty" setting. I'll have to start bringing my 3 gal. tank I use for winterizing with me so I can run the main tank out.

Now it's the painful wait for the lake to thaw.

P.S.

I guess I should have pointed out that the reason I need to know the full level so badly is that I need to mix my fuel/oil in the tank when I fill up at the marina. I don't usually let it get very empty so I put the fuel in, then add the right amount of 2 stroke oil based on how many gallons of gas went in.
With the old gauge not working properly, a couple of times at the marina I didn't realize how full the tank was and actually couldn't get the right amount of oil in because the tank filled up and was right up into the fill line before I realized it.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

The simple secret to adding oil is to do it in multiples of three or six gallons. In other words, add six gallons of fuel, dump in a pint of oil. Add six more and add a pint. If you think you are near full, add 3 gallons and add 1/2 pint. Yes -- it is a tad slower but you eliminate the problem of not getting the right amount of oil into the tank.

Tacklewasher

Lieutenant Commander

Tack on the fuel flow meter (EPR-60) and you'll be able to figure out your mpg as well.

You've got most of the hard work done to do it.

timalabim

Seaman

The simple secret to adding oil is to do it in multiples of three or six gallons. In other words, add six gallons of fuel, dump in a pint of oil. Add six more and add a pint. If you think you are near full, add 3 gallons and add 1/2 pint. Yes -- it is a tad slower but you eliminate the problem of not getting the right amount of oil into the tank.

The problem is when I'm at the self serve pump at the marina and I'm 50' of hose away I can't see the numbers on the pump. That's when I like to use the gauge to get an idea of where I'm at. It isn't as bad now that I realize the gauge is not correct, but the first couple of times it was suddenly full when the gauge only showed a bit over 3/4 it was an issue.

I also use one of these:
http://www.cabelas.com/prod-1/0013630011796a.shtml

So I kind of got away from the doing the 3/6 gal. method