Fuel gauge/sending unit testing/reepir.

ajahman

Cadet
Hi fellas

I need help determining if my sending unit and/or fuel gauge is working. I filled up my boats internal tank with approx: 30 gal and have run the boat approx: 37mi. I know that the fuel tank is supposed to hold 39 gal of fuel but do not know the fuel flow rate or MPG for my 120Hp johnson 17ft boat at 4500 rpm. The fuel guage has not moved or "bounced" at all while running the boat. Is there a way of using an OHM meter or some other way to test the sending unit or fuel guage. Also, is anyone familiar with the Navman fuel 2100 fuel flow meter and where I can get one on the internet?

Thanks for any reply.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Re: Fuel gauge/sending unit testing/reepir.

I have a Navman 2100 on my walleye boat and would not be without it. They work great. Long, flat, wide and shallow fuel tanks are problematic in that one minute the gauge shows full and a few miles later it shows a quarter tank and the gauge is bouncing like mad. You can test the sender by removing it and measuring its resistance with an ohm meter. As you move the float lever up and down the meter should read from 30 - 240 ohms give or take a little. If the gauge moves from anywhere on the dial when you turn the key on it is probably ok. The NAVMAN 2100 provides gallons/hour (updated every 15 seconds or at whatever interval you want). It also indicates total fuel used, total for trip, fand uel remaining. Low fuel alarm is another feature. They are easy to install.