Fuel Gauge Not working for Starcraft Proelite 1800 SC

Army1717

Cadet
Just bought a 2000 Starcraft Proelite 1800 SC. Everythings good except for rear livewell and the fuel gauge. If I could see the fuel tank to check the fuel level it wouldnt be an issue but I cannot. Trying to figure out how to fix the fuel gauge without ripping things apart like a mad scientist and creating more problems. This is my first boat so I am a bit of a novice but usually if I look at something for a while and take my time I can figure it out because i am farely handy. I open the back hatch and I see the circular black piece with a blue and pink/red wire connected. Common sense tells me that this would be the sender. I also assume the sender has the float inside of it that reads the fuel level. Theres 2 screws that secure it in the fuel tank. Fuel level is pretty high in the tank beacuse I filled it up before I took it out so I wasnt "that guY" and ran out of fuel. I took off the connectors and light sanded any corrosion that was in there and plugged them back in and put some of that dielectric grease on the connectors as well. When i turn the boat on or just the power the needle on the fuel guauge kind of moves a little bit up and down but not much so I assume the gauge itself is working its just not getting a good signal from the sender. This is what I figured out so far. I am wondering can I just unplug those connectors and then unscrew the sender and pull it right now. Is it that easy to pull it out? Or does the fuel need to be empty? There is probably some kind of O-ring under that device also to prevent leaking I assume. Also, if I pull the sender out how do I tell if its bad or not? If its clear to the naked eye its messed up and I put in a new one would i secure it down in there and then plug it in so I dont fry something? If the fuel gauge still dont work after I put in a new one it would be electrical. Can someone walk me through de-installing the sender and re-installing it properly or give me some pointers? also if I bought a new sender would it be smart to replace the O-ring and all of that or does that stuff all come as a kit?

Army1717

Cadet
Re: Fuel Gauge Not working for Starcraft Proelite 1800 SC

Also, other than trying to match up the sender can I call iboats and give them my model number to ensure I purchase the correct sender?

barato2

Commander

i think you're on the right track. to test the sender, just pull it out and move the float through the range and watch the gauge......it's basically a variable resistance deal. yes, i'd replace any 12 year old seal or O-ring that keeps my fuel where it oughta be. not sure on replacement senders as most here just replace tank and all.....crappy 40 yr old steel tanks.

Army1717

Cadet

When I pull it out then do I turn the key so theres power to the fuel gauge before i move the float through the range and watch the gauge? Id assume yes I just didnt want to pull it out and turn the key so it has power and fry something.

barato2

Commander

yes, unless your gauge works with key off. basically you want to replicate operating conditions here and check the effect at the gauge as you move the float between full and empty positions. you may need to run a jumper wire from the sender to tank ground for it to work.

if you don't get gauge to move, next step is to isolate problem. hook up an ohmmeter (avail for <$5 at Da Fright) between sender wire terminal and ground and repeat test and watch resistance on meter. if your sender has correct resistance but gauge doesn't work, it's the gauge.

i should have mentioned that since this all will involve having top hole in tank open, do it in well ventilated area, watch for any ignition sources or sparks, and maybe set up big fan nearby (UPwind) to keep fumes from accumulating