Fuel gauge broken?

PhilDx

Cadet
I have a 1998 Glastron 195SE. The fuel gauge shows full when full, but after using 12 gallons was basically bouncing around at full to 4/5ths still. I'm new to boats and wondered if this is normal?

I don't want to find out it's broken the hard way, does anyone know what size tank my boat has? That would give me a better ref. point.to check against.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Re: Fuel gauge broken?

Fuel tanks in boats are generally long, wide, and shallow so as fuel is burned, the fuel has plenty of space to slosh around. That's why the fuel gauge dances around as well. The sender in the tank is nothing more than a cork on the end of an arm that raises and lowers depending on fuel level. The gauge may also read differently at rest than when under way as the attitude of the tank is different. You gauge is probably ok, but you should take readings at rest to get the most accurate reading.

Big Keepers

Petty Officer 1st Class

You should have access to the sender through a porthole or maybe you can get to the entire tank like I can. If its reasonable, take the sender out of the tank and make sure it moves up and down correctly and freely. With the key on and motor NOT running, you should be able to move the arm up and down and watch the gauge move.

New senders like that (resistance senders) are bought based on the depth of the tank. Gallons won't matter if you need to replace the old one. However it sounds like was mentioned. It's sloshing in the gas. See what it reads when you're drifting on a calm day.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

That kind of movement is expected if using a "arm" type float. I have a "float in tube" pick up and my fuel reads are very stable.