Fuel gage reading incorrectly

DDanhour727

Cadet
My fuel gage is reading at half full. To troubleshoot I took these actions...

-Removed sender from fuel tank and with the floatation device all the way down it still reads half full and up is a full tank. Replaced sender..same problem

-Replace fuel gage.. same problem

-Tested resistance at sender; removed pink wire, red lead at terminal and black lead at shell of sender it read 109ohms (half tank I believe)

Whats my next step? Hopefully someone can help

Thanks,
Dan

seabob4

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Fuel gage reading incorrectly

My fuel gage is reading at half full. To troubleshoot I took these actions...

-Removed sender from fuel tank and with the floatation device all the way down it still reads half full and up is a full tank. Replaced sender..same problem

-Replace fuel gage.. same problem

-Tested resistance at sender; removed pink wire, red lead at terminal and black lead at shell of sender it read 109ohms (half tank I believe)

Whats my next step? Hopefully someone can help

Thanks,
Dan

Did you move the float through it's range and check resistance? 33 at empty, 240 at full...

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

109 ohms is indeed the half full reading as should be expected. You should measure about 240 ohms with the arm all the way down and about 33 ohms (full) with the arm all the way up.

seabob4

Lieutenant Commander

Did you move the float through it's range and check resistance? 33 at empty, 240 at full...

Sometimes, I am just brain-dead! The opposite is true, as Silvertip stated...but the important part is that the sender shows these resistance readings.:redface:

Josh P

Petty Officer 1st Class

i would check your wiring then, sounds like the signal wire has resistance of 130 ohms or so.