Fuel Flow Meter

SteveMcD

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Fuel Flow Meter

I got one for my Lawrence 515 and I love/hate it. After a few refill/recalibrations, it matches the gas pump almost to the pint(65 gallon tank, 24" fiberglass cabin cruiser) and it reads the fuel remaining to two decimal places. After recording and graphing the results at 500 rpm increments, I was able to determine the optimum cruising speed. My guess is that's what the Navy calls "standard speed". I have been told that can take months/years to determine otherwise. I think my $60+shipping fuel flow meter paid for itself just for that alone. What I hate is what it is telling me. My chevy 350 idles @ 3 gallons per hour at 4 mph(statute), optimum in displacement is about 7 gpm at about 12 mph, and 13 gph at WOT planing at 22mph. At $4.50 a gallon at the fuel dock, OUCH!!. Boats.......gotta love'm.

JEBar

Chief Petty Officer

After a few refill/recalibrations, it matches the gas pump almost to the pint(65 gallon tank, 24" fiberglass cabin cruiser) and it reads the fuel remaining to two decimal places.

After recording and graphing the results at 500 rpm increments, I was able to determine the optimum cruising speed.

My chevy 350 idles @ 3 gallons per hour at 4 mph(statute), optimum in displacement is about 7 gpm at about 12 mph, and 13 gph at WOT planing at 22mph. At $4.50 a gallon at the fuel dock, OUCH!!. Boats.......gotta love'm.

not being able to install ours for a few weeks, I have spent some time reading the directions and have been focusing on the recalibration process .... I'm delighted to hear that you have been able to fine tune yours such a high level of accuracy .... hadn't considered the point of being able to determine our boat's optimum cruising speed, looking forward to doing so .... OUCH indeed :eek: .... $58.50 per hr at WOT would sure motivate me to throttle back considerably ..:D

Jim

Mischief Managed

Lieutenant Commander

I got one for my Lawrence 515 and I love/hate it. After a few refill/recalibrations, it matches the gas pump almost to the pint(65 gallon tank, 24" fiberglass cabin cruiser) and it reads the fuel remaining to two decimal places. After recording and graphing the results at 500 rpm increments, I was able to determine the optimum cruising speed. My guess is that's what the Navy calls "standard speed". I have been told that can take months/years to determine otherwise. I think my $60+shipping fuel flow meter paid for itself just for that alone. What I hate is what it is telling me. My chevy 350 idles @ 3 gallons per hour at 4 mph(statute), optimum in displacement is about 7 gpm at about 12 mph, and 13 gph at WOT planing at 22mph. At $4.50 a gallon at the fuel dock, OUCH!!. Boats.......gotta love'm.

There's something wrong with your engine, your boat's bottom is really dirty, or you are way over-propped if your 350 is only burning 13 GPH at WOT. It should burn more than 20 GPH at WOT.