Fuel filter/water seperator

etracer68

Ensign
I have a 1987 90HP Johnson with a VRO2 oil/fuel pump. I see there is a small inline fuel filter on the fuel line under the cowl. I would like to mount a water seperator/fuel filter in the boat, next to the fuel tank. My question is, is the fuel pump (VRO2) strong enough to pull fuel through one of these larger filters. I always had them on my IO units, but they have differant fuel pumps.

seahorse5

Rear Admiral
Re: Fuel filter/water seperator

No problem using a boat mounted fuel-water separator if it is one of the factory or popular aftermarket brands.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

no problem but get rid of the extra filter. suggest all new fuel lines also carbs, to tank, due to ethanol, and the age of your motor.

etracer68

Ensign

Thanks, I was planing to replace all the fuel lines when I do it. The motor is a bit old but, its in very good condition, and runs great. I did a compression test and have 120 to 125 on all 4. I do have a water leak in the bottom corner of the exshust cover, but just a dip here every few seconds. I will be working on it this winter. Im storing the boat and motor at work inside heated.

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner

You've gotten some good advice. Should you ever want to test the system after you add the fuel water separator, you can tee a vacuum gauge into the fuel line. You are ok with the filter as long as it does not draw more than 7 inches of vacuum at max rpm.

seahorse5

Rear Admiral

You are ok with the filter as long as it does not draw more than 7 inches of vacuum at max rpm.

Johnson and Evinrude outboards specify a maximum vacuum of 4" Hg for their fuel systems.

A healthy fuel system with a good filter and a quality anti-siphon valve is typically in the 2.5 to 3.5" Hg range measured at the fuel pump inlet fitting.

robert graham

Admiral

I've used the Walmart fuel/water searator($27) on my 90HP Yamaha for several years and it has worked just fine for me, very easy 2 screw installation on your transom. Ace Hardware has the barbs, plugs, clamps, teflon pipe compound(not tape) for the fittings. Just take your time and cut/re-route your fuel lines so they don't rub or kink up during steering. These fuel/water separators are the best thing yet to help prevent fuel related problems.

etracer68

Ensign

Thanks again for all the info. Im pretty handy with motors, but all my boats have had 4 cycle inboards, Volvo's, Merc's, to OMC's. If I'm not out on the lake fishing or just relaxing, I'm at the track with my little 358 small block Chevy, that I've had for 29 years. I have been around boats all my life, just never had a outboard over 7HP before. Thanks again.

Attachments

• racecar.jpg
    racecar.jpg
    52.9 KB · Views: 0