Fuel Filter/Water Seperator

Puddy905

Seaman Apprentice
Hi. Just wondering if I should install a fuel water seperator in my boat for my 1982 115? I'm looking at the Quicksilver model as it's a good size and the price is right. Just making sure it wouldn't impede too much fuel flow.

Bifflefan

Commander
Re: Fuel Filter/Water Seperator

wont impede flow at all. allways a good idea.

Puddy905

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks guys. Already ordered the new fuel line and I'll get a filter ordered up soon too.

sschefer

Rear Admiral

The Quicksilvers are 25 micron filters. I recently switched from Racor 10 micron filters to Quicksilver 25's. Even though the 10's are rated at the same GMP flow rate I don't think they actually do. Gut feeling mind you no fact to back it up.

I definitly don't have the cavitation (air bubbles) in the Merc that I had with the Racor. Racor now sells the 1" spin-on with a longer adapter tube that's suppose to cure that. Personally I think the filter is just too long.

In any case, the original filter under the cowl has to stay if you still have the oil injection on the motor otherwise you'll get dirt from the oil in the carbs. If you're pre-mixing your fuel then you can remove the inline filter after you put your new f/w sep filter on. The inline at the motor is only a 70 micron filter.