Fuel filter question

DMontana

Cadet
I recently bought a used 2017 Avalon pontoon, powered by a 2017 Suzuki DF60AV with 124 hours.
Since I do not know the history of this motor, I am going to change all fluids, filters, plugs, water pump, etc.
I have ordered all OEM parts and was looking at the Low Pressure fuel filter under the "hood".
Is this a Fuel/water separator of sorts? Just asking because it looks like the filter element is at the top and there is a rubber cap at the bottom. I am planning on installing a real fuel/water separator at the end of the season, however, if this filter is one would that be redundant?
Thanks

99yam40

Fleet Admiral
yes it is a water separator, and should stay in place even if you put another on in the boat

DMontana

Cadet
yes it is a water separator, and should stay in place even if you put another on in the boat
Thanks for the reply.
Yes, I was going to keep it, already have a replacement on hand. Just wondering if adding an external separator would still be a good idea. looking at the racor with plastic drain bowl. Finding a place to mount it will be a challenge, I have a pontoon with a small deck on back, so it will have to go into either the same compartment as the battery, or the opposite side compartment which is storage.

99yam40

Fleet Admiral
if you have problems with water, it may help to have another one bigger

DMontana

Cadet
if you have problems with water, it may help to have another one bigger
Ok, thank you! I have not had any issues so far, and looking to keep it that way! Lol. Thanks for the confirmation on the "built-in" separator, I couldn't find any info on it other than it being a "Low pressure fuel filter".

airshot

Rear Admiral
I don't know, I would think there could be some restriction/flow issues. But I understand your thinking.
Could be, but have never experienced an issue. My fuel goes thru 3 filters before reaching each carb, motor is a 1992, never an issue even on E10 fuel.

99yam40

Fleet Admiral
most boats have a boat side filter and the one on the outboard, just do not install a small micron filter in the boat side.
get rid of the big stuff and water with the one in boat and let the motors filters handle the rest

DMontana

Cadet
most boats have a boat side filter and the one on the outboard, just do not install a small micron filter in the boat side.
get rid of the big stuff and water with the one in boat and let the motors filters handle the rest
So I have decided to add a separator and been doing some research. I'm thinking of going with the Sierra brand due to ease of getting replacement filters (local store close by). My question is, if I decided to go with one that has the plastic drain bowl, which I probably will, do you have to replace that bowl every filter change? Those filters seem expensive with the bowl, or is the filter element separate? Sorry for my ignorance on the matter, I've had several boats but never had a separator on one, never really thought about it.

DMontana

Cadet
So I have decided to add a separator and been doing some research. I'm thinking of going with the Sierra brand due to ease of getting replacement filters (local store close by). My question is, if I decided to go with one that has the plastic drain bowl, which I probably will, do you have to replace that bowl every filter change? Those filters seem expensive with the bowl, or is the filter element separate? Sorry for my ignorance on the matter, I've had several boats but never had a separator on one, never really thought about it.
Nevermind, I found a better picture of it and found they are separate. I thought the bowl was integral to the filter cartridge.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
One advantage of those plastic bowl Racor's is that there are two places for them to leak, and they often leak around the plastic bowl. Another advantage is that the cartridges are real expensive, and the plastic bowls can become brittle in sunlight. The final advantage is that they are not avail everywhere.

You have detected the sarcasm? Get a 20GPH plain jane metal separator, and go boating.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
So I have decided to add a separator and been doing some research. I'm thinking of going with the Sierra brand due to ease of getting replacement filters (local store close by).
Not a fan of aftermarket filters unless they provide detailed specifications noting pressure drop, and efficiency at a minimum.

I can have a (documented) Racor filter for my system (S3214) delivered to my front door within 24 hours for $15

My question is, if I decided to go with one that has the plastic drain bowl, which I probably will, do you have to replace that bowl every filter change?Those filters seem expensive with the bowl, or is the filter element separate?
You can buy just the element.

Realize, with the clear fuel bowl, you will not be changing the filter on an annual basis. You only change the filter when it gets dirty (increased pressure drop) or the can starts to rust (saltwater).

I change mine on average of every 3 years

Sorry for my ignorance on the matter, I've had several boats but never had a separator on one, never really thought about it.
The dirty little secret they don't want you to know....... Racor makes a filter that "bolts up" to your existing OEM filter mount.

Racor B32013 filter replaces Mercury, Mercruiser, Quicksilver, Yamaha, Suzuki, SMI, Volvo Penta, Sierra, AquaPower, Honda, Tohatsu and other filter heads (comes with clear bowl) 10 micron.

After that, you only need to buy the filter....$15 deliverd to the door.