Fuel filter placement / System layout

louiss3000

Cadet
Hi All,

I'm in the finising stages of fixing up a 1973, 24', twin Volvo AQ130C/270D, cuddy project. Basically, it's to be a near-offshore fishing boat in South Florida. I have a question on the fuel system.

It has a 70 gallon aluminum fuel tank, that 'looks' to be in good shape, based on what I can see through the sender opening. It had a single bronze/brass water separator, through a tee feeding both engines.

Reading the stories of modern fuel issues, I know that a modern separator / 10 micron filter is a good choice. I've even heard posters using 2 in series.

I was thinking of using two, with one feeding each engine. Logic being if one clogs, it kills only one engine. Everything else on the boat is completely independant: batteries, alternators, etc. The only commonality is the fuel tank.

I'm wondering if using one per engine makes sense? Two in series? Or one and be done?

All input appreciated.
LS

zbnutcase

Commander
Re: Fuel filter placement / System layout

One per engine makes sense only if your fuel tank has provisions for 2 pickup tubes, if not, both engines will still be joined at the hip there.

louiss3000

Cadet
Re: Fuel filter placement / System layout

I thought about the single pickup. My logic on two was only a single engine dies should one filter plug up or otherwise fails. Doesn't seem like much could happen to the pickup, or the 18" of hose before the filters.