Fuel filler overflows

mfelthousen

Seaman
I have a '77 Starcraft Holiday I/O, which I have been restoring. I replaced the fuel filler hose and the vent hose as part of the original restoration, but never ran the boat before restoration. I don't know if this problem existed before I did the work: I have yet to fill the tank without having fuel come out of both the vent and the filler, even if I am dispensing fuel slowly and listen for the change in sound just before the overflow. The filler has a cross piece in it so that the pump nozzle does not go in very far- there's no time for feedback to automatically trigger a shutoff of the pump.

The tank is mounted in the aft port side of the boat, which is also where the filler and vent are. The hoses are very short. I cut the hoses to the same length as how they were when I got the boat, but from I can tell from forums now, the vent line should be longer and have a loop 'up' so it doesn't trap fuel or water (there is no dip currently). I can put on a longer hose, which may solve the issue of fuel out of the vent, but I don't think it will solve all of the problem.

Is the cross-piece that prevents the pump nozzle from going in typical? the only reason I can think of for it existing is to prevent someone from leaving the nozzle in place and filling the boat unattended.

Thanks for insights-
Mat

Attachments

• photo321714.jpg
    photo321714.jpg
    723.6 KB · Views: 1

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,..... This has nothin' to do with the motor, or drive, so I'll move this to the general boat question forum for ya,......

I see a couple of issues,......
#1, both of the vent clamshells point forward,.....
The exhaust vent, which should have a blower in it, should point aft,......

#2, something I hate, is the tank's fill, 'n vent are side by side, to the aft,.....
They work better when on the forward end of the tank, with some separation, but ya can't change how close they are,.....
With the angle boats sit in the water, the fuel backs up, before the tank is full,....
I'd turn the tank 180*, 'n deal with it that way,....

southkogs

Staff member
^^^ #2 in particular:

I had that tank setup in an older boat I had. I got it with the fill and vent mounted to the front, never changed it. My vent line ran back to the transom, and was out the stern just below the rub rail. My fill port was on top of the stern gunwale (horizontal vent / vertical fill).

If you weren't on your toes, you were gonna' take a bath fillin' it up. But you could listen to it that way and hear it getting full.

I still had to mop up a few messes.

mfelthousen

Seaman
^^^ #2 in particular:

I had that tank setup in an older boat I had. I got it with the fill and vent mounted to the front, never changed it. My vent line ran back to the transom, and was out the stern just below the rub rail. My fill port was on top of the stern gunwale (horizontal vent / vertical fill).

If you weren't on your toes, you were gonna' take a bath fillin' it up. But you could listen to it that way and hear it getting full.

I still had to mop up a few messes.

Thank you both, on all counts. The picture doesn't show it, but there are four clam shells. There's an intake and exhaust on both sides of the engine. The blower does point aft.

I've considered rotating the tank- I'd probably have to get rid of the jump seat on that side to have clearance for the filler tube. I've only ever filled it while on a trailer, when it is close to level. The vent is under the rub rail on the port side (horizontal) and the fill is on the aft port corner (horizontal). I've listened, and there is a split second between a change in pitch and both overflowing.

I'll start with a longer vent line and work my way up from there.