Fuel fill hose

Deimus

Petty Officer 2nd Class
On my restoration project I decided to go with a new plastic fuel cell as the old metal one was a little rusty inside.

the problem I am having is that the fill neck on the new tank is offset about 6 inches from where th old filler neck was. I wanted to know if there is a place that sells offset hoses that are fuel safe.

I have about 8" drop from fill spout to tank with about 6" offset. and the tank neck is bigger than the fill spout.

any ideas would be great.

iwombat

Captain
Re: Fuel fill hose

You might try hose-clamping in a couple of elbows.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

The standard fuel filler hose is flexible rubber. Try cuting the fuel hose to length, Remove the filler fitting from the boat. Install the hose on the tank and clamp it. Now re-install the filler fitting, onto the hose and then attach it to the hull. Double clamp both ends. You may also want to warm up the hose to make it bend a bit better.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

you may have to replace the fill spout.

ted655

Petty Officer 1st Class

I just bought some 11/2" fuel hose (USCG app.). $5.00 a foot, not flexable. The way my original fills were handled, my line up solutionwas a aluminium offset pipe. Custom welded as per length over to align with filler neck. As a result of a redesign of my aft deck, I was able to discard all that & relocate the filler directly above the tank neck.
I looked and was not able to find ANY USCG flexable fuel hose. If this is a boat you will insure then things like this matter more. Safety is always the first considerstion. Remember the vent and it's aproved instalation requirements also.

ManOfwar690

Seaman

remember that u need to use 2 hoseclamps per atachment also they must be ss to be coastguard approved

Saskatoon2005

Master Chief Petty Officer

Installing two elbows to make the filler cap I think is a good idea. Just do like the guys above mentioned and add two ss clamps per joint. That will save you cutting and installing a fixing other holes etc etc....LOL! Or make a weekend out of it and do a really nice job.....either way, post pics, we love to see pics on here...LOL!

JasonJ

Rear Admiral

I had the same exact problem you did when I replaced my old steel tank with a poly tank. I cut a new hole directly over the tank fill neck and installed the fill spout in the new opening. I cut a round piece of aluminum plate, polished it, and installed it as a small cover plate over the old opening. I did not want to have the possible backing up and spilling of fuel that can happen with sharp bends and elbows in fuel fill hoses.

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

There are elbows that are Cost Guard approved. If I recall, the only ones approved are brass. Took me a while to find a place that sold them online, but in the end I didn't need them. The so called "flexable" fuel fill hose that is CG approved is not very flexable because althought it is rubber with steel coil form, it is thick and not intended to make tight 90* bends. Maybe a 45* in an 18" length. And yes, it is expensive. But its worth it. You might consider relocating the fill. It would be much easier and less expensive than using elbows.

Deimus

Petty Officer 2nd Class

thanks for all the info.

I was thinking that if I moved the filler spout over to right above the neck. ( wich is about center of the boat) that I could use the nice recessed pole holders to fill the hole. I could then cut another hole on the opposite side to keep everthing simetrical. would this other hole cause a lack of rigidity to the hull? I just don't want it to look oaky rigged.

JasonJ

Rear Admiral

deimus said:
thanks for all the info.

I was thinking that if I moved the filler spout over to right above the neck. ( wich is about center of the boat) that I could use the nice recessed pole holders to fill the hole. I could then cut another hole on the opposite side to keep everthing simetrical. would this other hole cause a lack of rigidity to the hull? I just don't want it to look oaky rigged.

Sounds good to me. The holes will have no effect on the structure whatsoever. Good luck...