Fuel consumption

Tafflad

Chief Petty Officer
Hi .... going to winterize my Volvo 4.3L V6 280-C
Volvo service details require that I need to run a 2-stroke mix through it at 1500 rpm for 15 minutes.
Does anybody have an idea how much fuel that is likely to be ? ........ I will need to source a fuel tank and mix the fuel .... don't want to prepare more than is needed as no other use for 2-stroke.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
about a gallon of fuel mixed with 2-stroke oil

Tafflad

Chief Petty Officer
Ta .....Thats what I'll mix up then ...... now think it's eBay time to find a small fuel tank.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Ta .....Thats what I'll mix up then ...... now think it's eBay time to find a small fuel tank.
a hose in a 1 gallon gas can from your local store is all that is needed.

tpenfield

Staff member
FWIW - My 454's run through about 1 gallon in 20 minutes. Just did my winterization with 3/4 of a gallon for each engine.

So, a gallon should be plenty.

Scott06

Vice Admiral
Also seen other fill their fuel filter canister with the mix when changing the filter , consensus is that is enough to accomplish the same thing

muc

"Retired" Association of Marine Technicians...
consensus is that is enough to accomplish the same thing
Only people who are looking to "cut corners" do this.
One of the manufacturers recommended this for one year. They changed it pretty quick. Because it's not enough.

Scott06

Vice Admiral
Only people who are looking to "cut corners" do this.
One of the manufacturers recommended this for one year. They changed it pretty quick. Because it's not enough.
Which manufacturer recommended and ’unreccomended’ it?

muc

"Retired" Association of Marine Technicians...
Which manufacturer recommended and ’unreccomended’ it?
MerCruiser, I think. It was soo long ago I’m not 100% sure.
Whoever came up with this didn’t think it through.
Fuel comes into the filter at the top, fuel leaves the filter at the top. Oil is heavier then gas. The fuel flow thru the filter at 1500rpm is very little compared to its capacity so there will be very little mixing.

When dealers started reporting stuck pumps and injectors. The first recommendations were to reverse the polarity to try to unstick them. Followed by a service bulletin to use a remote tank to fog the engine. The 2 stroke oil is just as much (maybe more) for the pumps and injectors as it is for the cylinders and valves.

I wouldn’t say unrecommended. Service bulletins supersede all previously published literature.