Fuel Cell Penta 5.0PEFS and TBI injectors

DRAHandyman

Cadet
Help!
My Volvo Penta 5.0PEFS will not start. It has been stored a long time and gas is definitely screwed up.
I have drained the fuel, intstalled new fuel filter and tried running fresh gas and still will not start. It will fire if I squirt gas directly into the throttle body so I think it is the fuel cell and have read the many posts about this problem. I cannot see any fuel in the throttle body when I crank the engine. I tried a fuel pressure test on the feed from the cell to the throttle body and see only about five pounds of pressure when cranking. So I decided to clean the fuel cell it out per a previous post from “Matt in Seattle” and I note that the two pumps both have “high pressure” stamped on them (but different part #’s 283 2219A and 282 2359A). Many of the posts refer to low pressure and high pressure pumps on the fuel cell. Why would the casings on my pumps both say “high pressure”? I have found a “fuel pump kit #3588865 on the web but it doesn’t say what is included in the kit. Anybody purchased this item and can tell me what you get for your approximately $300?
I am also going to replace the Throttle Body injectors as they are rusted and could also be clogged with the bad gas. Spark is getting to the injectors (per my noid light). Again, I find posts asking where to buy the injectors (number 25170301-ACR), but never any responses. A web search doesn’t help me but causes me more confusion. Any help on where to buy these TBI injectors?

Thanks in advance for any guidance.

Last edited by a moderator:

Technologic80

Seaman
Re: Fuel Cell Penta 5.0PEFS and TBI injectors

Help!
My Volvo Penta 5.0PEFS will not start. It has been stored a long time and gas is definitely screwed up.
I have drained the fuel, intstalled new fuel filter and tried running fresh gas and still will not start. It will fire if I squirt gas directly into the throttle body so I think it is the fuel cell and have read the many posts about this problem. I cannot see any fuel in the throttle body when I crank the engine. I tried a fuel pressure test on the feed from the cell to the throttle body and see only about five pounds of pressure when cranking. So I decided to clean the fuel cell it out per a previous post from “Matt in Seattle” and I note that the two pumps both have “high pressure” stamped on them (but different part #’s 283 2219A and 282 2359A). Many of the posts refer to low pressure and high pressure pumps on the fuel cell. Why would the casings on my pumps both say “high pressure”? I have found a “fuel pump kit #3588865 on the web but it doesn’t say what is included in the kit. Anybody purchased this item and can tell me what you get for your approximately $300?
I am also going to replace the Throttle Body injectors as they are rusted and could also be clogged with the bad gas. Spark is getting to the injectors (per my noid light). Again, I find posts asking where to buy the injectors (number 25170301-ACR), but never any responses. A web search doesn’t help me but causes me more confusion. Any help on where to buy these TBI injectors?

Thanks in advance for any guidance.

Slow down a bit. If your injectors arent spraying because they arent getting fuel, why would you replace them? You said they are getting power but not spraying fuel right?

When you turn the key to "on", you can hear the fuel pumps energize right? Double check the oil pressure switch on the right side of the block (if you are looking at it the engine). Take the connector off and try to start it. Check your lanyard switch - sometimes they short internally. Jump the lanyard switch to rule it out. Something is probably cutting the power OFF to the injectors.

gbeltran

Petty Officer 1st Class

Why not send your injectors out and have them cleaned? 5 psi is not enough either. You need to test that pressure when you first turn the key. I think that kit is just the HP pump. Yeah, I know both pumps say high pressure on them but the one in the kit is the one that feeds the injectors. If it's been sitting long enough that the gas is varnish then both pumps will probably have to be replaced, and they come as an assembly, it's not cheap either. You need to check the output of both the low side and the high side on that assembly before you start just spending money.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
I think you need to do some more testing before you go buying things.
You have 2 fuel pumps, not sure how you tested them, but the low pressure pump should be 8 psi 4 and the high pressure pump should be 29 2 Psi. It wouldn't be a surprise if the pumps were plugged up. and may take some work to get running again. I would also be the inside of the VST could be varnished up, as well as the insides of all the lines and injectors.

Last edited by a moderator:

Technologic80

Seaman

I think you need to do some more testing before you go buying things.
You have 2 fuel pumps, not sure how you tested them, but the low pressure pump should be 8 psi ?4 and the high pressure pump should be 29 ?2 Psi. It wouldn't be a surprise if the pumps were plugged up. and may take some work to get running again. I would also be the inside of the VST could be varnished up, as well as the insides of all the lines and injectors.

This.

DRAHandyman

Cadet

Thanks to all of you for your comments. I bench tested the fuel pump with a battery just to see if it ran. The low pressure side did but not the high pressure side. Seems to confirm the pressure test that I did at the schroeder valves.

I sent off the injectors to be cleaned while I wait for high pressure pump to be delivered.

I will clean out the gas tank some more by putting fresh gas in and pumping it out.

Thanks again for all of your feedback. If you have any more thoughts I will be glad to hear them - you guys have a lot of experience.

If it runs OK when I have installed everything I will post later.

Technologic80

Seaman

Thanks to all of you for your comments. I bench tested the fuel pump with a battery just to see if it ran. The low pressure side did but not the high pressure side. Seems to confirm the pressure test that I did at the schroeder valves.

I sent off the injectors to be cleaned while I wait for high pressure pump to be delivered.

I will clean out the gas tank some more by putting fresh gas in and pumping it out.

Thanks again for all of your feedback. If you have any more thoughts I will be glad to hear them - you guys have a lot of experience.

If it runs OK when I have installed everything I will post later.

Good Luck. Keep the board posted!

DRAHandyman

Cadet

Replaced the high pressure pump. Fuel now gets to throttle body.

Just received phone call from company cleaning the fuel injectors. They are frozen up and cannot be salvaged, so I need to replace them.

Anyone have a good source for the TBI injectors for the 5.0 Gi PEFS motor? I can find injectors and throttle body for the 5.7 motor, but not the 5.0. Are they the same?

This is really frustrating!!!

gbeltran

Petty Officer 1st Class

No source, but you should get your old injectors back so you can cross reference the number or color coding on them. That's going to be your best bet.

Tail_Gunner

Admiral

Ok your at a serious point here. You need the part numbers off those injector's. Marine fuel injection uses automotive parts but the way they are used is vastly different. you have spefic 454 injectors running at low pressure and you have to have the same injector number..In other word's...you cannot use 5.0..5.7 injectors that are put in a car or truck....Opps yes you could use differnt injectors..but you would need to retune your ecm about 200 dollars....then there's the fuel pressure to take into account...

DRAHandyman

Cadet

The number on the injectors was 25170301-ACR. There is also another number that I think is a manuafcturing date number 7209 GM. Unfortunately the paint on the top of the injectors has mostly disappeared but there is a yellow mark and I think blue?

DRAHandyman

Cadet

Model 5.0 Gi PEFS. Seriel number 4012000691.

Engine is charcoal (dark grey).

Tail_Gunner

Admiral

Model 5.0 Gi PEFS. Seriel number 4012000691.

Engine is charcoal (dark grey).

https://www.rockauto.com/catalog/x,...Search+for+ELECTRICAL+STANDARD+MOTOR+PRODUCTS

That is your injector.I know it shows a 5.7 but for some reason they do not show a 5.0. Volvo uses the same injector's for the 4.3..5.0...and the 5.7. Your ecm controls the gas flow. If you take some time you will see the same part numbers for the injector's on a penta web site for 4.3..5.7 and 5.0

Don Might verify the part numbers are all the same for that model yr...He has several library's at his disposal

DRAHandyman

Cadet

Tail Gunner. Thanks for this lead. I ordered the two injectors. They were delivered today and I installed them. The motor fired up immediately and is running like a champ. The tachometer isn’t working and appears to have seized up as I am able to use my diagnostics tachometer on the sender lead. Looking at the Faria website, I see that their instruments have a limited lifetime warranty, so after getting a repair authorization I sent it back. Not bad for $40.
I am looking forward to getting my boat back in the water.
Thanks to all of you for your advice and comments

Hello DRA
Can you remember the injectors references you ordered for your VP 5.0 Gi PEFS. The link you posted does not work anymore. Thank you so much
Daydreamer

SD2600

Petty Officer 2nd Class
go to your local auto parts store and tell them you want 2 injectors for a 1997 chevy 1500...