Frustrated with shift/throttle

Donald0039

Petty Officer 1st Class
Had a new VP shift & throttle installed at the helm last year along with a new shift cable for my Chaparral with VP DuoProp outdrive.

Now ready to take the boat out and it won't shift into F or R. Disengage the shift and I can move the lever forward or backwards to rev up the engine.

It's been stored inside so no water would have gotten into the mechanism.

Engine was idling.

Is this just an adjustment?

I can find all the engine manuals on the VP website but where are the manuals for the outdrives?

Attachments

• PXL_20230613_192846604.jpg
    PXL_20230613_192846604.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Pull the shift cover off the drive to see if the linkage is moving

If it's moving, you could have burned cone clutches or a sheared shaft coupler

Donald0039

Petty Officer 1st Class
Pull the shift cover off the drive to see if the linkage is moving

If it's moving, you could have burned cone clutches or a sheared shaft coupler
The outdrive was completely rebuilt in 2021 and has not been used going out in the water yet. It's been started and run at the dock and on muffs.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
The outdrive was completely rebuilt in 2021 and has not been used going out in the water yet. It's been started and run at the dock and on muffs.
So go back and look at the shift linkage to see if it's moving. Since you just rebuilt it, the cover should come off easy

Donald0039

Petty Officer 1st Class
Pulled the cover off. Detached shift cable and moved the shift rod at the outdrive and it would go into F or N or R just fine. Move the control lever at the helm and it worked fine. Reattached shift cable and the control lever at the helm worked fine to shift into F or R.

What am I to think?

Stiff from not being used for several months?

Donald0039

Petty Officer 1st Class
The drive was recently rebuilt by a company in Michigan who used all new Volvo Penta factory parts for many thousand dollars. I would believe they used the proper VP gear oil.

dubs283

Vice Admiral
Unless what happens? The non shift issue you're currently experiencing?

Donald0039

Petty Officer 1st Class
I cannot waste another summer chasing things. Next will be a test at the dock. Then a run on the water with just wife as passenger.

I have Sea Tow.

Horigan

Chief Petty Officer
Now that it's working I would just run it. I would confirm though that with the cover off it shifts all the way into F and R from the helm. If not, adjust the nut on the end of the cable at the drive end until it does. I would also look at the shift cable routing to confirm there are no sharp bends.