Frozen steering

Mercury140-I6

Petty Officer 1st Class
Hey guys, took my boat out on Pend Oreille lake today and found that I couldn't turn the wheel, ov course that was after I pulled away from the dock. I managed to get it to turn some to get it back to the dock, but it was soo hard, I thought I was going to break the wheel or cable. Took it to a local outbaord mechanic and he sprayed some penitrating oil and penitration greese and got it to move a lot better, but still takes more effort to turn than it should. The boat is a 1996 Glastron GS 160 and the motor is a 1979 Merc 140 O/B. There is no zerk fitting on the tilt tube for the steering, there is one for the tilt portion though.<br /><br />Any suggestions?<br /><br />Craig<br /><br />
062814.JPG

wgander

Cadet
Re: Frozen steering

You'll probably have to replace the controls; they're probably at least as old as the boat.<br />One thing you can check is the steering wheel, itself. My 19' bow rider has rack and pinion steering and on two occasions some of the bolts that hold the assembly together, behind the dash board had backed off a little, allowing the rack and pinion to bind: sometimes very stiff, then it would feel like it snapped, and would be OK for a few turns.

waterone1@aol.com

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Most likely the damage happened durring winter lay-up. This is why it is a good idea, if possible to move the steering back and forth a few times over the winter. Moisture gets into the cable (or is already there) and forms rust, after sitting for a few months when you try to turn the wheel it damages the inner cable. At this point the only thing to do is replace the steering cable. If you do it yourself, the cable is under $100.00 and can be done in a few hours.

craze1cars

Lieutenant Commander

Don't mess with trying to fix it. As already mentioned, your best bet is to replace the steering controls. Aftermarket systems are available from Overtons, Cabelas, and here on Iboats. $100 sounds a little low to me, might be closer to $200, but I haven't priced them for a while. Or for about $30 and some effort, you can probably strip a used system from a boat salvage yard.

umblecumbuz

Lieutenant Junior Grade

And if you're gonna strip a used system, then why not strip yours out first.<br /><br />You'll learn a lot, and you might even fix the fault for free.

waterone1@aol.com

Lieutenant Junior Grade

At this point I have not heard any evidence that the controls or helm are bad, not sure why everyone is so quick to say replace them ? Steering cables die all the time (mostly from the reason I stated above), just replace the cable, unless you find a reason to replace the whole set up.

tangent

Seaman

I had the same problem. The rod at the end of the cable was stuck in the tilt tube at the outboard. I had to replace the tube and cables. There are older message threads that describe cleaning out the tube with a wire brush and lubricating the cable. Any question about the cable and it should be replaced.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Whoa folks. Disconnect the steering link at the motor. Now pivot the motor by hand. Then turn the wheel. If the motor turns hard, the motor pivot is what's binding. If the wheel still turns hard, rust has likely formed in the tilt tube. Disconnect the cable and pull it out of the tube. Now turn the wheel. If its now free, clean the tilt tube with a shotgun cleaning brush or similar brush. Lubricate the cable end, reassemble it and you'll be good to go. If the wheel turns hard when its disconnected from the tilt tube, then its replacement time.

crazy charlie

Vice Admiral

Merc,I had the same problem.Since the spray lube helped a little that tells you where the binding is.What I did took 15 minutes.Get a roll of paper towels,a can of pb blaster and a can of lube-one.Get the steering piston out by turning the wheel all the way and spray it with pb blaster and then turn the wheel all the way in the opposite direction to retract it and then bring the piston all the way out again.Now wipe the piston clean and repeat.Clean the piston off each time and it will get easier and easier.You will need to do this at least 20-30 times.When you are ready to give up for the day saturate the piston with pb blaster and retract it in and leave it overnight.Repeat the cleaning steps a few more times the following day and then it should be easy enough to turn by pushing the motor itself instead of the steering wheel.Now put a coat of one lube(red spray can,made by slick 50)and you are ready to go.Dont use grease .Wipe down the piston after each time out and recoat with lube one and you will be good for years to come.Grease seems to get things clogged up.Charlie

umblecumbuz

Lieutenant Junior Grade

from Charlie:
Since the spray lube helped a little that tells you where the binding is.
Nice to see a bit of sensible diagnosis!

Realgun

Commander

then it should be easy enough to turn by pushing the motor itself instead of the steering wheel.
Not if he has a no feedback steering like I bought.