Frozen Drain Plug

saycoda

Cadet
I can't budge the drain plug for the lower unit, I've even taken an impact driver to it after spraying it with WD-40. I'm afraid to hit it too hard in that it is an older, any suggestions?

Thanks in advance,

Frank

R.Johnson

Rear Admiral
Re: Frozen Drain Plug

I have never seen one an impact driver would'nt remove. Have you got the driver set properly?

wilde1j

Vice Admiral

What motor? Generally, the impact driver MUST be hit hard to be effective. A light tap will do zero.

jonesg

Admiral

There is a knack to using the impact driver, I don't know if you understand how it works or not.

I preload or twist it in the opposite direction it wants to go when hit and hold it firm, that forces the "bit" to turn when whacked.
Give it a sharp crack.

Removing screws that were installed with permanent threadlock on them is a snap, so it does sound like you aren't getting it right.

saycoda

Cadet

I have never seen one an impact driver would'nt remove. Have you got the driver set properly?

I have never used an impact driver before, but what I did to check out whether I had it set up correctly is I pushed down on the driver, flat blade on a hard surface, as I pushed down on it, it turned counter-clockwise, so I assumed that is correct.

I then put the driver into the screw and push towards the screw, then whacked it with a hammer...........nothing!

Mine is a husky model with L<---->R on the shaft. See attached.

Attachments

• impact_drvr.jpg
    impact_drvr.jpg
    14 KB · Views: 0

jonesg

Admiral

Yeh, thats bad technique.
Don't push down, thats what the hammer will do.
Just hold it firm and whack it.

JasonAych

Petty Officer 1st Class

Just read an article where the best penetrating oil is a home brew of 50/50 ATF and acetone. Can't attest to it but the study seemed scientific.

jonesg

Admiral

Just read an article where the best penetrating oil is a home brew of 50/50 ATF and acetone. Can't attest to it but the study seemed scientific.

Thats what machine shops use...by the barrel.
That study was online a couple of yrs back, WD 40 was surprisingly good too.

James R

Commander

Not difficult.
Use a 24oz Hammer. Wear a leather glove on the hand holding the driver. Press the driver into the slot and twist anticlock to lock it out. Smack it hard with hammer.
As has been said pansying wont work.

mikesea

Lieutenant Commander

Get yourself a tank of MAPP GAS and torch tip at a local hardware store.Get it good and hot ,then try again,if you have a large screwdriver that you can put a wrench on to help with a bit of torque it should work.Be sure to replace the nylon washer ,it will burn up.You want to heat up the outer alum.case not the plug