Frozen 350

Rstacy

Seaman Apprentice
I bought a Thunderbird with a frozen 350. All attempts to free it up have failed.
I have an automobile 350 with 4 bolt mains from a project that never materialized.
I have been told that I have to change the intake manifold and the camshaft. Aside from that are the engines pretty much swappable?

Rick Stephens

Admiral
To go along with the intake and most definitely the cam, you need brass core plugs and marine water pump. Automotive plugs and water pumps are designed to run with antifreeze, not water, they rust out almost overnight in a sea water cooled engine. If your boat has a closed cooling system you can skip this.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Plus a marine starter if the original doesn't fit and head gaskets.

Rstacy

Seaman Apprentice
Awesome feedback! Thank you for taking the time to respond. The good news is that I can get most of the pieces off of the old engine. I haven't given up on freeing up the existing engine but its not looking good.

Bondo

Staff member
What is different about the marine starter? Just curious.

Ayuh,.... Welcome Aboard,... Marine starters are certified explosion proof,.... an extra plate inside to seal in sparks, dependin' on the starter,...

Rstacy

Seaman Apprentice
Ayuh,.... Welcome Aboard,... Marine starters are certified explosion proof,.... an extra plate inside to seal in sparks, dependin' on the starter,...

Got it! Thank you for the welcome.
I had boats when I was a teenager and now 45 years later I'm in to it again.
I live very close to Sodus Bay in Sodus NY so how can I not have a boat?
My buddy gave me a 1979 Baja with a Merc 90 on it. Its been so much fun that I bought this Thunderbird for next season.

kenny nunez

Captain
In regards to the cam if it is not rusted when you remove it from the marine engine be sure to set the lifters back on the same lobe they were running on. On the starter make sure that the holes in the block are in the same location as the marine engine, if you are familiar with Chevys you know what to look for. Hopefully the good engine has the same flywheel bolt pattern. You may also want to re use the oil pump pick up and oil pan if both engines are the same in regards to the flywheel bolt pattern. And of course replace the manifolds & replace the water pump in the drive. Run the engine before you install it to check for leaks .

tpenfield

Staff member
Add to the starter . . . ignition system, alternator, and fuel system . . . all need to be marine rated for spark suppression and fuel leakage prevention (fuel system)

SAE J1171 is the specification for spark suppression. There are other specifications for the fuel system.

I would think some of these things could come from the 'frozen up' engine.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
No Title

and in addition to everything above marine head gaskets and unless you are in clean fresh water, a marine intake manifold.

FYI - the J1171 spark suppression is critical for all marine rotating electrics.... for a reason. see the photo below

if your 350 motor has more than 9.4:1 compression (flat tops with 64cc combustion chambers) you will need to run premium fuel to stave off detonation.

Attachments

• photo269387.jpg
    photo269387.jpg
    24.1 KB · Views: 0

Rstacy

Seaman Apprentice
Thank you for the great replies. Fortunately most of the marine specific parts can be transferred from the existing engine.