front deflectors

barry5of9

Recruit
the curved water deflectors on the "bow" of my pontoons have taken a beating, and are now curved more up than down. any ideas on how to "bang em" back into shape? How pliable are they?

Cycleman07

Seaman
Re: front deflectors

the curved water deflectors on the "bow" of my pontoons have taken a beating, and are now curved more up than down. any ideas on how to "bang em" back into shape? How pliable are they?

It is risky and here is why...they are welded to the tubes and when "banging" on them you run the risky of cracking the tube along the weld. The best option is to heat them up enough to bend them. I would highly recommend not banging on them with a hammer etc.

barry5of9

Recruit

Thanks. I really didn't intend on hitting them. Any help on heating? I'm picturing a propane torch, feathering the flame close to where I want to bend, and slowly pulling the metal down. I honestly don't believe it'll be pretty, but still, way better than how they look right now.

Cubbyblue22

Petty Officer 1st Class

Ya know if you find a pretty reasonable welder near your area I would just have him cut the old ones off and install new ones. That way your starting fresh and your aluminum is as strong as it could be. Re-heating and bending usually only lasts so long till it's bent again and even worse next time.

barry5of9

Recruit

I'll take pics and post this weekend. The cut off and weld idea intrigues me. I'll ask around about that. Thanks for your time, folks.:joyous:

Last edited:

crb478

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I have to agree with cubbyblue, a good welder can reinforce the area and possibly add some gussets to the top side so it will be stronger than before and may never happen again.

5150abf

Vice Admiral

Cut off and weld may be your best option, even with heat I don't know that you are going to move it, aluminum is pretty tough and you run the risk of cracking a weld and worse case making the tube leak, aluminum doesn't like to bend more than once or twice and heating it will anneal it and make it soft.

Off the top of my head I would take a decent length 2x4 and cut a slot in the end big enough to fit over the splash guard and work it down to where it should be, real slow maybe 6-8 passes back and forth but find a welder first in case it does crack, unless they are super welded on the weld will probably just crack and it won't take out the tube but better safe than sorry.

barry5of9

Recruit

IMG_6609.jpgIMG_6610.JPG IMG_6608.jpgI hope the pics "took". The "outside" deflector might need to be replaced, but the "inside" one could maybe get by with a little tappin.