from the New Orleans Times-Picayune

deputydawg

Lieutenant Commander
Re: from the New Orleans Times-Picayune

Back to the original post here, why are so many reporters acting so disturbed and trying to get people worked up that the bodies are being left behind? <br /><br />Why waste the time "saving" a body?<br /><br />I have been in a few minor disasters (tornados). No matter what it always takes time to organize and get things going. They can't just run out and start grabbin people, they need to go in a sustematic pattern so the don't miss areas.<br /><br />The worste tornado I was in, and all disasters, we set up a triage. If they were obviously going to die soon and someone close by was going to live, they stayed. The broken bones and minor injuries stayed, and the dead stayed. They are the last to go, and I really don't think they would mind. So why should the press mind?<br /><br />P.S. is the posting easier to read? :p ;) :p

Parrott_head

Chief Petty Officer

Folks, <br /><br />This is a tragedy for America.<br /><br /><br />America spelled with a capitol "A".<br /><br />This is not a "Party in power vs. party out of power" tragedy.<br /><br />It is our tragedy.<br /><br />If there is something you can do to help, do it.<br /><br />There will be time for recrimination and acusations later.<br /><br />For now we have bigger fish to fry.<br /><br />Good night and God Bless.

woodrat

Ensign

Originally posted by Boomyal:<br /> This disaster was not a Federal Problem, I'm sick of people who continue to make it so. The rest of this country did not live in a major city below sea level. New Orleans and Louisiana had an obligation and they failed. They were too busy concentrating on the Southern Decadence Festival and all the big buck they thought it would bring in!
The rest of the country may not live there, but acting like it is purely a state and local issue is not very realisitic. According to a Scientific American article about this very possibility, from October 2001, "Louisiana's coast produces one third of the country's seafood, one fifth of its oil and one quarter of its natural gas." I'm sure you couldn't care less, Boomyal, but the article also states that the Louisiana coast, " ... harbors 40 percent of the nation's coastal wetlands and provides wintering grounds for 70 percent of its migratory waterfowl." You may find that "Facilities on the Mississippi River from New Orleans to Baton Rouge constitute the nation's largest port" a little more relevant, or you may not. <br /><br />However you slice it, though, it is obviously much more than a state or local problem, as you can see by looking at the gasoline prices right here is SW Washington, where we don't live below sea level (I'm at at least 50'!) and are good and moral people who would never party down like those corrupt New Orleans residents do. <br /><br />I agree that a lot of the rhetoric coming out of there seems a bit over the top in terms of " why hasn't the government solved this problem for me?" but then again, I am not there and neither are you, and for my own part i've never been through a hurricane, had my home flooded or watched the bodies of my neighbors lay in the street for days or float by my rooftop where I and my children are stuck without food or water, so maybe we should just back off on the judgement and resentment, huh? God will supposedly provide all the judgement needed, right? And resentment is not a Christian virtue, at least that I'm aware of.

Buttanic

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Thank you Woodrat. Well said

deputydawg

Lieutenant Commander

Like it or not this will have long term effects on the world economy for some time.<br /><br />Try to go to Menards or other stores like that and buy plywood or OSB. The prices have more than doubled, and the local Menards is sold out until December. <br /><br />Try buying roofing materials, no shipments until December.<br /><br />What will grain prices do, a major portion of overseas trade went out of that area. Fuel prices are just the tip of the problem. I know many farmers that at $1.50 a bushel for corn can not afford enough fuel to harvest. Several I know will have to sell out, and leave the crop in the field causing a reduction in expected harvest yeilds greatly effecting the prices we pay.<br /><br />Shipping costs are rising, so will consumer goods.<br /><br />Homeowners insurance will take a big hike to make up for this and the past several years.<br /><br />Not to mention all of the other natural rescources and goods that come from that area. It will be a long time for the whole country to rebound from this.