FORUM RULES UPDATED - The forum rules have been updated to continue to provide a friendly and safe environment for our member community. Please take a moment to review the updated rules and our terms of use and privacy policy. Click here for Forum Rules which has links to the 'terms of use' and 'privacy policy'.
In Other News . . .
You will notice a few enchancements to the forums to make your experience better. These include: Email Notifications, Thread Previews, Thread Starter Notation, and Emoji Options on the 'Like' icon. . .
Additionally, the merchant portions of the website have been updated and are now operational. . . . Check out iBoats for all your boating gear.
Can I use a freshwater trolling motor in salt water? I heard that if you keep the shaft greased and liberally apply WD40 you can get away with it.Pushing an Intex Mariner 3 .
its not recommended....you'll void the warranty plus its soooo much extra work. In the end it would be worth spending the extra now to get a riptide. If not, within 2 years you'll spend so much more time and money with the up keep that you'll be wishing you had gotten the correct motor to begin with.
I agree with mr for the most part. I read some forums where. People use fresh tm in salt then wash them afterwards but would love to see results 2 years later
We had a fresh water motor on hand, so it was installed on the salt water boat. After several months use, I replaced the tilt pin, screws, and locking pin with stainless steel as they had rusted. I removed the prop and greased the shaft which may be the weak point. I will use it until it gives problems, but if purchasing one which would be used in salt water, I would go for a salt water version.