Freedom of Speech

On my commute to work every day there are tons of banners / posters along the freeway as one would expect during the campaign season. There are also 2 pedestrian overpasses where people congregate during the rush hours to say what they feel they need to say to those of us trying to get home.<br /><br />Last week, on my way to work there was a Bush/Cheney sign that was completely destroyed... not real surprising in Western Washington but what caught my attention, and almost made me drive off the road, was an old man standing about 10 feet from the destroyed sign, in some sort of uniform, soluting it. <br /><br />Every day I drive to work and see signs I disagree with and it warms my heart to see those signs I disagree with because that's what this country is about. Lets all show some respect for others views.

WillyBWright

Fleet Admiral
Re: Freedom of Speech

Freedom of speech shouldn't include destroying what others choose to say as a form of free speech. We should've learned that in the McCarthy era. That's what scares me about this so-called Patriot Act. I don't think it's patriotic at all! Just the opposite. And I admire the few that had the gonads to vote against it. Thanks for your observation.<br /><br />I also like your signature. Reminds me of..."I Love the smell of 2-stroke oil in the morning. Smells like...fishing." (To very loosely paraphrase "Apocolypse Now")

Link

Rear Admiral

1994lundminnow<br />KVI 570 has covered this several times. I've lived here in Lakewood for the last 20 years and I know where almost every sign is. In 2000 I saw dozens of Bush/Cheney signs destroyed, cars "keyed" egged etc. <br /><br />It's for that reason I have never put a sticker on my vehicles! <br /><br />BTW in 96 and 2000 I did not see even ONE Clintoon or Gorey sign touched!<br /><br />On the brighter side before our troops moved in on Iraq about every other car had anti WAR anti Bush stickers.. and two weeks after they started the battle 98% were removed! This takes work!<br /><br />That meant a lot to me about the majority of the people who live here in the puget sound area!<br /><br />Good people who love our country & people as I do but, just vote funny! :D :D :D

12Footer

Fleet Admiral

I agrre with the mutual destruction rights, WbW, but terrorists live next door to you and I. This changes everything you and I grew up with. If we allow terrorists to dwell next door to us, we may survive, but my main worry is my kids and thiers.<br />The patriot act is extremely invasive of our freedoms, which many have fought and died for. But it's a nescessary evil for the short tewrm security of our nation. And this temporary loss of freedom is nothing new. In WW2, Japanese and Germnan AMERICAN citizens and visiters allike, were rounded-up and placed in concentration camps...Not exactly the same type as Hitler had, but no freedom at all, if your American eyes had a slant to them. There are old Americans still living, who 'did time' in them. They express anger over it to this day, but each one (that I've heard speak about it), said they fealt it nesecarry too. Then, there were our POW camps. German military men sent there claimed the treatment was good.<br /><br />I fully expect the patriot act to serve it's purpose, and then be abandoned as soon as it is no longer needed.<br />This war is for freedom, and threats to freedom is what will bring an American to arms faster than anything else.<br />I just pray every morning for victory.

knobby

Chief Petty Officer

It happens everyday on this board. Sad.

gsbodine

Petty Officer 1st Class

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."

KaGee

Admiral

It is totally ironic that those who proclaim to be the champions of protecting free speech are themselves trying to squelch the speech with whom they disagree.<br /><br />Reminds me of ANIMAL FARM<br />"All animals are equal, but some animals are more equal than others"

KennyKenCan

Commander

Here in NY metropolitan area, if you have a "Bush/Cheney '04" sticker on your car, and you park it in a parking lot, when you return, you will find your car vandalized!<br /><br />They will break every window, slash every tire, and then set your car ablaze!<br /><br />They will pour paint on your car, leave vile messages carved into the paint of your car, basically anything they can do to degrade you!!<br /><br />3 cars at the train station I park at have been vandalized like this, and I have heard of others at other stations, and they all claim the same, no one is going to anything about it!<br /><br />These kinds of actions are what you'd expect from communist's, NOT Americans!<br /><br />Guess I live in a communist state?<br /><br />Police will do absolutly nothing about it!<br /><br />Media refuses to report these actions!<br /><br />Police will tell you, "Don't put a Bush/Cheney sticker on your car if you don't want your car vandalized"!!!<br /><br />So, does that give me the right to vandalize and burn cars with Kerry/Edwards stickers on them?<br /><br />I don't think so!<br /><br />Now, is that what you would call free speech?<br /><br />Not in my book! <br /><br />Thats called crime!<br /><br />God forbid someone was to do that to a vehicle with a Kerry/Edwards sticker on it!<br /><br />The police would have crime scene investigators crawling all over it!!<br /><br />This type of action, just proves how desperate the Democrats have become, and how they will stoop to all time lows, just to see Bush/Cheney defeated!!<br /><br />What a sad place this country is starting to become!<br /><br />Basically what people are saying here in NY is, you can support any canidate you want, as long as it's Kerry/Edwards!<br /><br />Thats not free speech, thats OPPRESSION !

oddjob

Commander

God forbid someone was to do that to a vehicle with a Kerry/Edwards sticker on it!<br />
Yeah! that would be veiwed as a hate crime (felony + madatory jail time)if the victim were a liberal or dem.

12Footer

Fleet Admiral

Kagee, Good book, "Animal Farm"! A must-read for every HS student!<br />I have one more thing to say, and I'll leave this thread allone, because nothing else matters...<br />I will die to protect your rights to have a metal fish symbol on the back of your car, or a Kerry campaign sticker. Just try to rip the silver fishy off of my truck. It may proove fatal, and I AM a Christian.<br />I will die to protect the patriot act durring this time of war. Mutants will not be allowed to blow themselves up in my family's vacinity.<br />Once it is over,we can bring it back up for discontinuance. After all, if they can rule baby killing legal, they can surely take care of an antiquated provission for dealing with the terrorists we elliminated back in the 2000's.

Hey Link,<br /><br />the sign I'm refering to (what's left of it) can be seen if you are heading south on 405, just as you get on 405 from I-5 up in Lynwood.<br /><br />Being in Lakewood you may not see too much of what's along 405 but just south of Kirkland on the foot bridge there is a real dedicated bunch that hold a sing saying "US OUT OF IRAQ NOW"<br /><br />During the RNC on the footbridge NORTH of Kirkland there was a large group with Bush/Cheney signs.<br /><br />Oddly enough, I see more Bush/Cheney bumper stickers than I do for Kerry/Edwards on my commute. For those not familiar with our region, this is odd because things are very liberal over here. Really sucks for us country grown conservative boys.

hayhauler

Petty Officer 2nd Class

The only signs I've ever removed were those put on my property without my permission. Other than that, everyone has a right to their opinion.

Ralph 123

Captain

Nice, open-minded, freedom loving people these Kerry supporters are. Good thing she's not my daughter!:<br /><br />
Three-year-old Sophia Parlock cries while seated on the shoulders of her father, Phil Parlock, after having their Bush-Cheney sign torn up by Kerry-Edwards supporters on Thursday, Sept. 16, 2004, at the Tri-State Airport in Huntington, W.Va. Democratic vice presidential candidate John Edwards (news - web sites) made a brief stop at the airport as he concluded his two-day bus tour to locations in West Virginia and Ohio. (AP Photo/Randy Snyder)
capt.wvrs10309162250.edwards_wvrs103.jpg
<br /><br /> http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/040916/480/wvrs10309162250

Link

Rear Admiral

Originally posted by WillyBWright:<br /> <br />I also like your signature. Reminds me of..."I Love the smell of 2-stroke oil in the morning. Smells like...fishing." (To very loosely paraphrase "Apocolypse Now")
LOL yup brings back some good early morning memories.<br /><br />Hey 1994lundminnow<br /><br />Yes I know exactly where that is. I used to work in Lynnwood. 67 mile commute each way :( <br /><br />You said<br />
Oddly enough, I see more Bush/Cheney bumper stickers than I do for Kerry/Edwards on my commute. For those not familiar with our region, this is odd because things are very liberal over here. Really sucks for us country grown conservative boys.
We have noticed the same thing down here. Tomorrow I'm going for the first time in my life tape some stickers B/C in the windows of my van on both sides of the Support Out Troops sign.

beezee28

Master Chief Petty Officer

All I have to say is that everyone should go out and register to VOTE. It is what you mark on THAT piece of paper (or electronic) that counts. If you don't register and the wrong party gets into power then you have only yourself to blame. Think of all those before us that gave their live to protect OUR freedom (speech, vote, disagree, agree etc...). Closing date to register to vote in the November 2004 is October 2nd (I think). After that date whatever you say or gripe about would not matter if did not register to VOTE. So do your god given rights and go out and VOTE.

Excellent point beezee... nothing anyone says on this board will be as important as what we say on November 2.<br /><br />I'm registered. And you can bet I'll be casting my vote with pride.