Free 85 hp Evinrude Photo

cdnfthree2

Chief Petty Officer
My neighbor finally chopped up the boat that he never replaced the stringers on. He said the motor runs (shifter cable is missing though so it's anyones guess)(probsbly dosn't) but he'd just as soon have the trailer for other puposes and give me the Evinrude.

Not sure at to the year yet but it is Gold and White.
Either way would you experts part it out or get it running and sell it as a whole?

018-2.jpg

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner
Re: Free 85 hp Evinrude Photo

Check it's health and repair if necessary. Find out what you have before thinking about parting it out.

airframer

Petty Officer 2nd Class

thats a good looking outboard for its age, i'd take it in a heart beat

cdnfthree2

Chief Petty Officer

Thanks, I can check compression without power correct? Rotating the wheel- I'd like to get it running. Any guesses as to it's age. I'll have it at my home tommorrow evening and find the serial numbers to pinpoint it but the suspense is killing me. 70's- 80's- 90-s If he can't come up with a title should this change anything as far as my plans? Never had P&W check the motor yet!

cdnfthree2

Chief Petty Officer

Not exactly sure about the shift. The shift box which is incomplete is white.

I'll give alot more info tommorrow when it's sitting in the yard.

Srry if I jumped the gun

I think this might be a fun project.

iwombat

Captain

Judging from the LU and the T&T it's pre-'78. If the T&T is working it's probably worth at least $350 on ebay by itself. Could be a nice motor.

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

So here's the deal...... send it to me for inspection and evaluation purposes, if I do not think it is wise for you to have it then I will store it here for a good few years for you.
Seriously, good luck with it. I appears in good condition externally.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

85 HP was built 1968 thru 1980 then again 1991 thru 1995.

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

But that one was built between 1974 and 1977.

It's hydro-mechanical shift; look at the remote in the picture.

crb478

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Looks like a 73 to 77 from the tilt and trim. It is a good looking motor and if the inside is as clean as the outside I would try to get it running and keep it together, assuming it is mechanically sound. It is probably worth more parted out as the t&t is likely worth as much or nearly so as the motor.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

It's a 77. If it can be tested and verified to be working.....that T&T would go for close to $400 on eBay. No joke.

cdnfthree2

Chief Petty Officer

Indeed a 77 - good job ya'll!

I have it at home now.

Sticker right under the Cowl says- 1977- 26 degrees.

Here are a few more pics. I'll build a stand for it and try to get it running.

Just connect the positive and negative together and pull start, right?

It even still had the pull rope in the baggy.

Judging from the fact that the shifter is disassembled, I'm guessing it's broke.

This also makes me think the motor may be in ok shape . Why pull apart a
shifter if the motor doesn't run? Right?

As far as the T and Trrim, when I came across this boat the lower was being held up off the ground by a stack of 2 x 12s so I'm guessing that I may be out of luck there. Time willl tell though.

002-1.jpg

001-1.jpg

cdnfthree2

Chief Petty Officer

Perhaps, the shifter and cables are fine and it was take apart to get to the mounting screws. That would be cool if everything is fine. Probably won't get around to building the stand till the weekend.

LiLGrady17

Seaman

Nice score! Judging by the paint, it's been hardly used or taken care of meticulously..

iwombat

Captain

Looks like someone was in the process of removing the powerhead judging by the missing front port powerhead mounting stud. (The one right under the throttle linkage).

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

Indeed a 77 - good job ya'll!

Just connect the positive and negative together and pull start, right?

No need to connect any wires -- kill circuit is the black/yellow wire, leave it open to run, touch it to any good ground (engine block) to kill. Or you can choke it to shut it off.

Champion QL77JC4 at .030

Since you aren't connecting it to a battery, disconnect the yellow wires leading from the rectifier (small metal cannister-looking thing bolted to the powerhead) first; running the motor with no battery will blow it.

Cold pull start won't be easy (if it has any compression). Spark plugs out for your compression test, will be a bit easier.

Look for a manual choke lever sticking out from behind the air silencer cover -- engage the choke and start pulling..............

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

that motor should hace the choke pull, below and next the the cables. all the way in is off, one click out is auto, so it can be controlled at the controller, all the way out is manual choke.

cdnfthree2

Chief Petty Officer

If I finish this job Friday I'll get to work on it.
I think it can be brought to life- just depends on how much I put into it
I personally believe that jtex should come get it running while I sit and watch.:D