Frankenboat Carburetor catastrophe

ckraker

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I can't say "Thank you"enough . What a wealth of knowledge. I will be shopping for a new carb. I really want the 1409, but if i come across a stock carb Is there any reason why i should steer away from it? Also see the photo... It's a performer aluminum intake.... Is this ok to run on a marine engine or should i be shopping for a new intake as well? What Jets do i need to be looking for on a 1409.
thanks again!

Attachments

• photo325872.jpg
    photo325872.jpg
    612.6 KB · Views: 0

achris

More fish than mountain goat
I can't say "Thank you"enough . What a wealth of knowledge. I will be shopping for a new carb. I really want the 1409, but if i come across a stock carb Is there any reason why i should steer away from it?

As long as it's in good condition, no problem.

Also see the photo... It's a performer aluminum intake.... Is this ok to run on a marine engine or should i be shopping for a new intake as well? What Jets do i need to be looking for on a 1409.
thanks again!

From Edelbrock's site.

Edelbrock Part # 2111 Performer 90 degree V6 intake manifold is designed for street and marine 1985-95 200-229-262 c.i.d. (3.8 and 4.3L) Chevy V6s. Dual bolt pattern water neck fits both automotive and marine applications. Produced 18 more horsepower than an older manifold design on 4.3L marine engine.

It's a dual plane, low rise manifold, idea for mid range torque, perfect for a boat engine.

What Jets do i need to be looking for on a 1409.
thanks again!

A good place to start is where Merc set the Weber 9600 on the same engine.

Weber jets.JPG

Chris.......

Last edited:

Rick Stephens

Admiral
Unfortunately, can't use the calibration ended up on my carb as my engine has Vortec heads. That changes the flow completely. However, the Edelbrock 1485 Calibration kit is designed for the pre-Vortec 4.3L V6. So is a good place to start with your engine if you get either a Weber or an 1409 Edelbrock carburetor (same carb).

The 1485 has same size jets as the Merc reference for the Weber carb. I don't know how to crossover the Merc part numbers to Edelbrock numbers or colors on metering rods and springs.

Rick

Screen Shot 2020-03-05 at 7.06.54 AM.png

ckraker

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Just got off the phone with the guys at National Carburetor. They are building me a 1409 with modifications to run a 4.3. The price was under 300! Very friendly and knowledgeable. I could have bought the 1485 kit and done the mods myself, but I feel much better letting the smart guys do it! Wouldn't have been able to beat their price either. Hoping I can sell my Quick Fuel Black Diamond to offset the cost.

Rick Stephens

Admiral
Man, you guys. Here in sheep-shaggistan, that would be the best part of $1000....

Chris......

sheep-shaggistan. Good one.. I wonder if your high prices are just from miscommunication. Or maybe all the heavy metals ending up at the bottom of the bucket. Guess I should have studied more physics in school. Thanks for the laugh.

achris

More fish than mountain goat
sheep-shaggistan. Good one.. I wonder if your high prices are just from miscommunication. Or maybe all the heavy metals ending up at the bottom of the bucket. Guess I should have studied more physics in school. Thanks for the laugh.

The high prices are because consumers have not had access to know what people pay in other countries, and so importers and retailers have for years been gouging without the populous being aware. Interestingly we are seeing a lot of those businesses folding. Gee, I wonder why!

Chris......

P.S. I have zero sympathy for businesses folding because consumers are realising how badly they have been treated for so long. A good example is a spark plug that you in Retardistan are paying $10 for, we get slugged $30... That's just unreasonable.