Four Winns or Larson??

bigmacfan

Seaman Apprentice
I am considering getting a new I/O runabout. The only two manufacturers that meet my criteria are Larson and Four Winns.

I live 1.5 miles from the ramp at the local lake, so I want to be able to store the boat in my garage rather than storing it somewhere else. This means that I am very limited on size as I am also adamant about getting car in the garage with the boat.

I currenly have a 2002 Sea Ray 176BR that I picked up about a year ago. I just moved to this area and wanted a boat !NOW! and this fit the bill. It fits in the garage exactly...it only had 19 hours on the engine.....but it is pretty plain in terms of design (all white with very limited black graphics) and has the 3.0 Merc.

I would like to get another boat of this size, but want something more exciting to look at with more color and something with 4.3 Merc. The Larson SEi 180 LX and the Four Winns 180 Horizon are the only two models I can find in that size with the 4.3 Merc.

I like the looks of the Larson better, but wondered which you all would recommend for quality.

Thanks in advance for your recommendations!

rondi

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Four Winns or Larson??

Caravelle 180 with a 4.3

187_1.jpg

KCook

Lieutenant Commander

Also Starcraft has a bowrider in that size with the 4.3L option. All of these boats are built to a price. So quality differences are not great. Ideally let test drives decide it.

Kelly Cook

bigmacfan

Seaman Apprentice

I like the Caravelle's but I should have been clearer on the size. Both of the 180 models I mentioned are actually 17'5" boats. That is what I need....and with a swing tongue. The Caravelle is actually an 18' boat.....wish it was a bit shorter.. Actually....I just wish my garage was bigger.

I'll check out the other one listed.

Test drives are a good idea for sure :)

4Winns2

Petty Officer 1st Class

Also Starcraft has a bowrider in that size with the 4.3L option. All of these boats are built to a price. So quality differences are not great. Ideally let test drives decide it.

Kelly Cook

I agree with this poster. Boats in this price range are going to be competitive in quality and options. I'm a little bias- -see my screen name. Find what grabs your eye and do your homework. Good luck.

1990' Four Winns Freedom 195 with 4.3 litre OMC

wewefirex2x

Petty Officer 1st Class

I like the caravelle too but the length does not include the swim platform.

rondi

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Out of the Larson / FourWinns choice, it's hands down with the Larson for it's classy look.
The lo-pro tinted windshield sets it apart from all the others.

The Glastron MX175 is also available with the 4.3 merc if you're on a budget.

http://www.glastron.com/us/boatpages/mx175.html

bigmacfan

Seaman Apprentice

You struck a cord with the jet boat thing....I used to have a Sea Doo Speedster and loved that thing. However, I moved to a location where my local lake does not allow jet drive engines of any sort, so I had to get rid of it and get a stern drive. That's how I ended up with my Sea Ray. I bought this boat before I even got all the boxes unpacked from moving...priorities you know :)

Yes I did look online at the Glastron at the 175MX, but I thought it looked.....cheap. I don't know anything about their quality rating and am simply going on looks, but I wasn't impressed.

I wish they just made a 17.5' Sea Ray with a 4.3L engine....then I would be happy.

Thanks for the comments.......interested in others as well.

Question about the no difference in quality at this price point.....does this mean that both of these boats are crap? I certainly don't want to have a boat that isn't decent quality.

I just can't have a longer boat due to the garage size. I think it would be silly to store a boat farther from my house than the lake is....I just don't think I would use it as much if I had to go somewhere to pick it up. Ideally, I would like a 19 foot boat, but not in the cards for me in the near future.....unless I move for a bigger garage.

Dakota47

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Chaparrel make a real good runabout, 17.5ft with the 4.3 V-6 too.. regal & reniell & Rinker also makes small runabouts.. i have a Rinker V-180 with the 4.3 V-6 and love it.. my next will be a Chaparell ..

57whitehouse

Chief Petty Officer

Larson has always been a quality boat(excellent quality). You can be sure of it.

KCook

Lieutenant Commander

No, not crap at all. As with most econo boats, expect the trivial bits to need refurbishment/replacement sooner. It's in the bigger size bowriders, over 20', that you can fine tune the quality game.

Kelly

OhWellcraft

Petty Officer 1st Class

My brother has a larson that he just bought and I am qiute impressed with how well thought out the interior is seems to get the most for the space avalible. His is bigger and has a v8 in it but it is quite a nice boat. What is your garage situation like? I am a contractor here in Utah and have done a number of garage extensions either out to the back yard or into a bedroom closet. Depending on how it is laid out sometimes it isn't all that much work. But not always the case. Im sure you know what would work best I mainly wanted to chime in about the Larson.

Lootas1

Petty Officer 3rd Class

My main boat is a Larson 18 foot Sea Lion. Don't know about quality. After only 46 years, it is beginning to need some work. Okay, don't know about other boats but I think the Larson is (or at least, was) a quality built boat!