Four Winns Horizon 190 bilge pump

ggundersen3

Petty Officer 1st Class
I have a question if my 1995 Four Winns Horizon 190 bilge pump is working correctly. If I switch it on with switch on the dashboard nothing happens, but if I then go in the engine compartment down in the bilge there appears to be a float, if I lift that up it comes on and runs and the red indicator light on the switch lights up. Is that right? I thought the "automatic" function would make it run if the float sensed enough water in the bilge no matter what, and the switch on the dash is an override switch to turn it on manually. The way it is now I need to have the switch on all the time and leave it up to the float to actually make it run.

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,.... It can be wired several ways,....

To do what you want it to do, you need battery power to the float switch, to the pump,.....
Then power to the dash switch, to the pump, beyond the float switch,....

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
like Bondo stated

it can be wired many different ways

most dashes are wired in an on/off/auto fashion with all power coming thru the B plus coming to the key switch

some are wired in on/auto

some are wired battery hot to the float switch with just an on/off switch

some, like mine, have a dedicated house battery which keeps the radio memory alive and powers the auto side of the bilge pump or the manual side which comes in thru the second house battery.

alldodge

Staff member
Maybe someone replaced it and did it incorrectly
The one in pic has power direct to float as Bondo mentioned. Also has power from the fuse box to a switch for direct power ON. The light will light anytime power is applied to pump. Note there are 2 fuses (inline direct from Bat and one from box)

Bilge pump auto.jpg

ggundersen3

Petty Officer 1st Class
Thanks for the info. All makes sense. You guys are super helpful. I'll let you know what I find.

4now04

Seaman
The '95 190 Horizon that we bought new did not have a float switch for the bilge pump. I don't recall that being an option. As others mentioned, my guess is that someone replaced the original pump and/or added a float switch. If the boat stays in the water or any time the boat is in the water, I would recommend leaving the helm switch on. The better choice is re-wiring it as Alldodge detailed.

tpenfield

Staff member
The wiring, as you described it, is less than ideal. The float should activate the pump regardless of the helm switch position. The helm switch should turn on the pump regardless of the float switch.