Found Out Transom is Rotten After Buying on eBay from a Marina!

tdeloer

Cadet
Bought a boat off eBay from a marina in northern Indiana in mid-June. 1989 VIP Victory. Info said engine good, gauges work except trim. Radio also doesn't work. Purchased for $2600 and thought I was getting a pretty good deal. Well, $1300 dollars and a month later haven't even used the boat yet!! Required new steering mechanism, alternator, battery, all repaired by the marina in Indianapolis the boat is at. Finally got in water and it almost sunk. Transom is rotten!! Leaking so much almost filled engine compartment in less then 24 hours. Question, should this be chaulked up as win-some-lose-some? Marina I bought from says they took in trade and never put it in the water. Estimate of $2500 to replace transom. Marina tech where it has been worked on says get rid of it. How? Sell it to a different unsuspecting sap?

BonairII

Commander
Re: Found Out Transom is Rotten After Buying on eBay from a Marina!

Does ebay offer no buyers protection? You need to contact ebay immediately.

Don't sell to someone without full disclosure of problems....not only is not right, but you could kill someone(boat could sink and they could drown).

Bamaman1

Lieutenant Commander

Sorry about your purchase. Fiberglass boats usually have plywood cores, and they can rot if not kept out of the weather. It's an expensive, time consuming repair. Older fiberglass boats are best not purchased used without a complete inspection by someone that really knows fiberglass boats.

If you have no recourse, you can always put the boat on Ebay for parts. The engine, outdrive, etc. are worth some $ if in good condition.

They can also be swapped over to a good hull if you can find one with an engine out of it. Boat salvage yards are full of them. Lanier Marine Liquidators in Cumming, GA (N. Atlanta) has dozens of such hulls.

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Marina I bought from says they took in trade and never put it in the water. Estimate of $2500 to replace transom. Marina tech where it has been worked on says get rid of it. How? Sell it to a different unsuspecting sap?

Then that's their problem. They should not be selling stuff that they haven't even tested. Seriously how long would it have taken them to water test it? Did the auction description have any kind of warranty or disclaimer about the boat? I agree with also trying ebay's buyer protection.

ricohman

Lieutenant Commander

I'd take this up with ebay. Its all about protection to buyers on ebay and I cant see any problems with you disputing it.
But since you have already sunk money into it, I don't know if you can go that route. Maybe a partial refund?

spdracr39

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Yes go with the ebay buyer protection. You should be able to get your purchase price back unless they said in the description that it may need other work.

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral

One of life's expensive lessons, consider it an education. You'll be quite a bit more knowledgeable with your next boat purchase.

I see a lot of people on this forum getting the same education, just bought a boat only to find out it is rotten. Some buck-up and head to the restoration forum to learn how to fix it, some pay someone else to fix it, and others just go away and you never hear from them again.

Take a look around the restoration forum if you can't get satisfaction from the seller, you can fix your boat like brand new and we can help you.

DB Cooper

Cadet

Check out friscoboaters restoration of a 1995 Sea Ray to see exactly what this kind of damage looks like and what it takes to repair it. I didn't even know this was possible until I started reading this forum.

http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=454460

tdeloer

Cadet

Thanks for all the feedback. eBay Buyer Protection covers boats under their Vehicle Protection Policy, but it only covers them up to 10 years old. Geist Marina was able to put some type of temporary sealer where it was leaking and put in an automatic bilge pump to get me thru the season. I'll have to think long and hard as to whether to continue to put more money into the boat. I thought $2600 was a pretty good deal from the description and pictures, but $1300 later and significantly more needed it's just taken all the excitement out of getting back on the water.

RogersJetboat454

Commander

Thanks for all the feedback. eBay Buyer Protection covers boats under their Vehicle Protection Policy, but it only covers them up to 10 years old. Geist Marina was able to put some type of temporary sealer where it was leaking and put in an automatic bilge pump to get me thru the season. I'll have to think long and hard as to whether to continue to put more money into the boat. I thought $2600 was a pretty good deal from the description and pictures, but $1300 later and significantly more needed it's just taken all the excitement out of getting back on the water.

Still sounds like you are dealing with a death trap. Think about it, the transom isn't just there to keep the water out of the boat. It's there to receive the push from the drive. If that transom is really rotten, and has not structural integrity left, all you have to accept the load from the drive is the thin skin of the outer fiberglass. It's not out of the realm of possibility for the fiberglass to start cracking, and if it gets a large enough hole below the water line, shes going to go down faster then the best bilge pump can keep up with the leak. :(

aharper00

Seaman Apprentice

Dang, sorry to hear about your trouble. What dealer is doing your work in Indy? I've never heard of the place that sold the boat.

If there is good news it's that you will probably have some time to think about your options because Geist and Morris are both pretty darn low right now. When I was on Geist last week the first quarter mile or so from the launch was less than 3 feet deep. I've been avoiding going back out just because I'm afraid to hit something. :(

Sorry for your trouble. I wonder if there is any recourse on the dealer that sold you something in this kind of condition. I agree with what was said above... if all they did was patch was is truly a rotted transom than it's only time before something cracks. The only place it will have trouble is while on the water, though, so by the time you realize something is wrong it will probably be too late. I'll go boating with you so that you don't have to swim to the shore, though... I don't have enough people that enjoy going out (def not a problem I thought I would have before buying a boat - lol).

tdeloer

Cadet

I have had the techs (Reed's been awesome!) at Giest Marina doing all the work on the boat. They always serviced my previous boat and they know pretty much all the issues with this boat now. Since I keep it in a slip at the marina I wanted them to make sure I can take it out and not have to worry about breaking down. The dealer in Syracuse, IN sets on Lake Wawasee. After I let them know the issues, they asked about all the repair costs and I have not heard back from them. I'm hoping they at least cover the cost of sealing the transom leaks and the cost of the automatic bilge pump.

I used to keep my 1986 Sea Ray Seville on Geist so I know where the holes and the shallows are. For now, I just do some easy crusing around the lake and plant myself in the coves where the water is 20-30' to swim or fish. Can't beat setting in my boat in the evenings and listening to the music coming from the outdoor bar in Bella Vita at the marina.

Truly hoping to never experience having to swim to shore from a sinking boat!!! :)

kmwoods

Cadet

Don't bother...they will tell you that you should read the agreement. They don't have any sort of protection on a vehicle older than 10 years. You'll get absolutely no help from eBay.
Yes go with the ebay buyer protection. You should be able to get your purchase price back unless they said in the description that it may need other work.

kmwoods

Cadet

Sorry, didn't see the posts that said this already and I can't delete this post for some reason. I get an IE error.
Don't bother...they will tell you that you should read the agreement. They don't have any sort of protection on a vehicle older than 10 years. You'll get absolutely no help from eBay.

mnypitboat

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Like others said, eBay will be no help. Even Paypal is a joke when you have a problem. Been down that road before. Let it be a lesson to you, NEVER, EVER buy a boat sight unseen. I was lucky enough to have gotten a solid boat, but it needed a lot of work and the trailer nearly killed us when it split right in half due to the rust under the paint that we could not see. Ebay, and Paypal both told me tough luck, Then the guy had the balls to ask me to pay him after the fact for the trailer registration. I told him to come get his junk out of my yard, and bought a new trailer. Needless to say he never showed up.

I think someone else suggested it, but you can probably pick up a solid hull without an engine for less than $500. Swap over your good parts and move on. Or sell it for parts. Unless you are going to replace the entire transom. DONT patch it. You will be sorry.

BonairII

Commander

Since you are new to working on motors/boats.....this project is a bit over your head. Part it out and get what you can for it.

rogerwa

Commander

If you look at CL you may find a fiberglass guy that will do it on the side. I found one that worked in a shop by day and did this on the side. It was good work and at a significantly reduced price since the dealer took no cut. You just have be careful about who it is.

I have had the techs (Reed's been awesome!) at Giest Marina doing all the work on the boat. They always serviced my previous boat and they know pretty much all the issues with this boat now. Since I keep it in a slip at the marina I wanted them to make sure I can take it out and not have to worry about breaking down. The dealer in Syracuse, IN sets on Lake Wawasee. After I let them know the issues, they asked about all the repair costs and I have not heard back from them. I'm hoping they at least cover the cost of sealing the transom leaks and the cost of the automatic bilge pump.

I used to keep my 1986 Sea Ray Seville on Geist so I know where the holes and the shallows are. For now, I just do some easy crusing around the lake and plant myself in the coves where the water is 20-30' to swim or fish. Can't beat setting in my boat in the evenings and listening to the music coming from the outdoor bar in Bella Vita at the marina.

Truly hoping to never experience having to swim to shore from a sinking boat!!! :)
its been dry here too,, but i,m glad we have the finger lakes to boat in. seneca is 800+ ft deep. no drout is gonna hurt that . keuka lake is 200 ft deep. all glacier made. your 20-30 ft deep coves made me think of that. our coves can be 200 ft deep 30 yrds off shore. gotta love ny for the finger lakes.

dolluper

Captain

May be worth a DIY project.....lots of help here.....to do yourself your looking at 4 to 5 hundred bones plus your time labour.....check under my signature Transom Repair link bottom left.....I started this project with new gills ....but I had fiberglass experience prevous....you meet be able also ......with help here I'm sure you could do it .....don't give up hope