Found & Lost

copeina

Cadet
Re: Found & Lost

Lost - my brand new portable depth finder when I left the transducer over the side under way.

Found - my now not so new portable depth finder (the head unit was water tight and floated too!)

Lost - most of my prop on a sudden shoal as I left the bay where I spotted my new portable depth finder.

Bad day - OK day - Not so good day.

/Kris

brazosboater

Cadet

Found-Lots of trash in the brazos river
Lost-My respect for several boaters on the brazos river (you know who you are)

Nova II 260

Senior Chief Petty Officer

..... I've found a nice wooden letter "X" that measures about 18" tall about 6 years ago.
No wonder I can't catch fish, you took my "X".
icon10.gif

azlakes

..last week I found a billfold stocked with cash and credit cards at the dock as I was starting the long walk up to get the trailer. flagged down Harbor Patrol and they radioed the front entrance.. keep those things zipped in or in the dry bag...

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral

I am happy to say that I have NEVER had to buy a single boat fender in my life and I have a full complement of them on all of my boats. Seems the folks around here are quite generous with theirs and very rarely pull them in while underway.

A couple years ago I found one of those big Rubbermaid plastic tubs with an Add-A-Room from an RV packed inside. I placed ads in the paper, left notes on bulletin boards and called dealers in the area but never did find the owner of that one. The rooms retail for anywhere from $500-$1000, so I figured someone was going to miss it. Ended up leaving it by the curb with a FREE sign on it... but I kept the tub.

I've found six-packs of soda & beer, lures, boat cushions, a pair of waterskis (matching set, found a day apart, 2 miles apart!!), paddles & oars, and the odd LP tank (full!!!). We've also pulled in sections of floating docks, one with a swim ladder attached!

Pretty much the only things I've lost have been the odd sunglasses (gotta take them off BEFORE I jump in the water!), a few fenders (at the dock, not underway!), and a couple anchors. There was the time I lost my 14-foot tin boat, though - had it pulled up on the dock and tied. I'd pulled the plug because it was supposed to rain and didn't want it filling with water. The rain came - along with gale force winds! Washed the boat off the side of the dock, where it sank to the gunwales and then chafed through the rope overnight. Found the boat downriver about a mile, washed up under someone else's dock, smashed between the dock and the shoreline granite. The boat is a planter in a neighbor's yard now...

- Scott

Mr.Stuart

my brother has this big heavy duty magnet that he used to go "fishing" with when he had his boat, he'd use it around docks and find keys, watches, and I forget what else. now that I got a boat and he don't, I'm thinking I should borrow that magnet, and do some of my own "fishing"

terry2626

Seaman

hey to all the guys who boat around Lake Lanier. With the lake so far down if you find some Oakleys sunglasses let me know because i have lost about 5 pairs at one time or another. LOL Other than that i have not lost much boating (knock on wood) but like everyone else i have found a few things. Nothing worth much just life jackets and lots of old styrofoam blocks that i pulled out to use as a backstop for my arrows.

peacekeeper6

i have lost loads of money....

never found anything except a can of bugspray in the beaufort river.... hardly works but is good for those days that the sand fleas are out

Rob454

Chief Petty Officer

I found a purse floating with about 1600$ in it. I let everything dry then I found a couple of phone # so i left messages. This was at blythe in california at the river. A week alter I got a call and the lady wanted her belongings back. Funny thing was she lived about 4 blocks away from me. I returned everything. later found out the $$ was their vacation fund. I felt good returning it.

I found a 44 magnum and a shotgun in a case when I went hunting one time. must of fallen off the guys truck or something. Called the local PD they did a trace on the weapons and the owner was found. The shotgun was worth NO KIDDING 8500$. The guy wanted to give me $$ for returning the stuff. i declined.

i never really lost anythign. i had a guy steal my jet ski covers one time at the river but that was about it
Rob

bouttime007

Chief Petty Officer

I found a pretty good sized block of styrofoam (3'x3') in the middle of the lake one time, I thought it was a body from far away. Picked it up because there were waterskiers around and I couldnt imagine someone running into it doing 35mph. Ive found about 100 lures, one in the bones of a very large bass under an eagles nest. About 75 golfballs, because theres a course on the lake. (hole 3 is right beside the water) Also reeled in a fishing pole that was practically new.

Lost my dignity for a day when I was attacked by a seagull. Lost a pair of my favorite sunglasses down the hole when ice fishing while catching an 18" brown trout.

When walking back to my car from the beach I found in front of the boardwalk steps a small vile of what appeared to be "crack" ,I tossed it in a trash can (not close by) . Poor old crack head more than likey searched for days tryin to recall where he lost it.........that sucks for him hehehe

robpoe

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Lost: Cooler full of pop, water and a few beers - on the shore of the Niangua river.

Never got it back - lost it in a state park..

Hope someone enjoyed it ..

"Hey, toss me a cold one!"

"You have them with you, don't you?"

"Uuh oh.."

kmk_7110

Petty Officer 1st Class

Found - 2 canoe paddles, many lures, a rubbermaid lounge chair, a cinder block with a tow rope attached, 2 life vests, a few fishing poles and reels... most recent rod and reel was an Ugly Stick and a Shakespeare Reel. The reel was shot but the ugly stick is still good had the lure and all on it.I had to reach over my boat and with the 4 ft net and my arm fully submerged to the shoulder to retrieve it but i did. the canoe paddles and life vests were frozen in the ice down at the same lake.
many tennis balls and bobbers if that counts for anything...

Lost - Many fishing lures, and a half of a piece of a Minnkota troller blade. Bad day ... probably a hat or 2 but was able to retrieve them...

Last edited:

terry2626

Seaman

snakethis69 i am glad that you have found something that works on the sand fleas. I lived in Beaufort for 3 years when i was in the Navy, and could not find anything that worked.

peacekeeper6

it is the only stuff that works, and the can is so rusted that i cant get a name off it....and i am almost out...another year to go with the fleas :(

wildmaninal

Lieutenant Commander

I heard tales of rod and reels being lost at my uncles spot on the lake and at his pond. So I came up with a couple of dredges to rake the bottom of the pond the first one is about 25' (well maybe a little less now since some of it broke off), made of PVC pipe reinforced with tent poles inside of the PVC and has a 3 prong garden fork at the end of it. The second one I got a 35' rope tied it onto a heavy duty garden rake that had less then half of a fiberglass handle left on it. I used it to throw out into the pond and rake the bottom. I was up at the pond several times with both dredges found a few lures, one time there was a storm moving in I kept saying to myself lets through out the rake one more time, just as it started raining I found a rod and reel. Nothing fancy, but it's in better shape then the open face I have. I plan on taking it to the lake someday. Once I get my 13ft boat restored I plan on dredging the pond with the rake hooked to the back of the boat, along with a heavy enough thrust trolling motor pulling it along. The PVC one works well for snagging fishing line that has been hung up and might have a lure on it. Yes I got the heavy duty rake hung up one time I used my 4 wheeler and hooked it to the 35' rope to work it loose. I bent to heck out of the rake but it works better in a sense now that it's bent :D.

Mr.Stuart

I was out this weekend and found 2 life jackets on the highway, and in the water I found a tennis ball, and a base ball bat

I like the rake/dredge idea, I might have to try that one

wildmaninal

Lieutenant Commander

The only thing is that it doesn't always land forks down when you through it out there I tied mine a certain way were it 9 times out of 10 lands forks down. I curled the forks were they would grab better, thats what helped hang it up though when I mentioned that I hooked the 4 wheeler to it to help get it out. I don't know what my uncle and my cousin was using when the would rake the bottom of Weiss lake for lures, rod & reels and anchors but they claim they use to go out and dredge for that stuff in deep water. Oh, step on the end of the rope were you don't lose it when you throw the rake, I nearly lost it one time from not holding it down with my foot, I used the other PVC deal to retrieve the rope witch was floating on top of the water.

Jerico

Petty Officer 1st Class

I lost my dignity when I lost my balance due to an unexpected wake, but at least my wife got a good laugh out of it. :D

Of course half the time she also thinks I lost my mind, but I don't remember why.....