Forward visibility

sktn77a

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Looking at buying my first boat. I really liked a 2004 Chaparral 204 SSi (looks like it just came out of the showroom) but I had a real problem with forward visibility. At idle speed the boat was flat and I could see fine, and on plane I could see fine too. But at any speed between idle and plane, I had to stand up to see in front of me (I'm 5'11" tall. so not a short person by any means)! Haven't noticed this on smaller boats. Is this normal?

Thanks,

Keith

H20Rat

Vice Admiral
Re: Forward visibility

Yep, normal. You don't want to be driving around at that speed anyway, you are throwing up a massive wake for other boaters and burning a lot of fuel. Either no wake, or on plane. As you found out, some hulls are far less forgiving in that middle area than others.

wcsellers

Cadet

Yeah what he said. Just pop up on plane as fast as you can. Most i/o's have this problem. I drive standing up but thats prob not the best thing to do.

Lakes84

Petty Officer 1st Class

I get the same thing with my 21 ft. I stand up when it's pretty wavy out to save my spine (even when going slow!) that way I can see much better too. When i can't see before I am up to plane, I double and tripe check what's in front of me before I hit the throttle for those few tense moments before planing. I guess with a bigger boat that might be pretty common. My 02. Joe

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

It's normal--a normal problem--for that style boat. Drivers find themselves in all kinds of uncomfortable positions trying to drive. I think it's because that type boat is designed like a car--but it's not a car.

The problem does not occur in better designed boats, such as center consoles, which are comfortable to drive standing or sitting, and are made that way.

sktn77a

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thanks all. Sounds like a common design "feature" of the mid-sized runabouts, then. Bummer!

;)

Keith

spoilsofwar

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Does your boat have a single prop drive or is it a Bravo 3/Duoprop? I will assume single, and tell you that switching to a 4 blade prop, while costing you some top end speed, will lower your minimum planing speed, get you up on plane faster, and reduce bowrise in the process.

I switched from 23P and 21P 3 blade props to a 21P 4 blade prop and I absolutely love the change in the way the boat behaves. It planes almost immediately and with minimal bowrise. I would never go back to a 3 blade prop on this particular boat.

ricohman

Lieutenant Commander

I'm having the same problem with my new boat as I am restricted to certain rpm's during the break in. But my boat seems to have a lot of room to stand and the wheel is high and falls right into your hands when you stand.

Campylobacter

Chief Petty Officer

I drive standing up but thats prob not the best thing to do.

No, it safest IMHO. Sitting down is a luxury. I stand whenever the weather gets iffy (heavy chop), there are other boats around, going under bridges, low light, etc.

sktn77a

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Does your boat have a single prop drive or is it a Bravo 3/Duoprop? I will assume single, and tell you that switching to a 4 blade prop, while costing you some top end speed, will lower your minimum planing speed, get you up on plane faster, and reduce bowrise in the process.

I switched from 23P and 21P 3 blade props to a 21P 4 blade prop and I absolutely love the change in the way the boat behaves. It planes almost immediately and with minimal bowrise. I would never go back to a 3 blade prop on this particular boat.

It's the 5.0GXi-SX with the single, 3 blade prop. So changing to a 4 blade prop may help? Can I use a double prop on that outdrive (makimg it a -DP?) or is it limited to a single prop? Not that it needs a new one right now but if/when I need to change it, I'd like some options.

Thanks,

keith

You might also consider installing trim tabs. I've read many good reports on this forum re Smart Tabs. They'll get you on plane faster and keep you there at lower speeds.

sbbamafan

Petty Officer 1st Class

Stupid suggestion, but i dont see where anyone said the obvious yet. Did you make sure you were trimmed all the way down?

Thalasso

Commander

Thanks all. Sounds like a common design "feature" of the mid-sized runabouts, then. Bummer!

;)

Keith

Do you have trim tabs? If so trim them down and you will get less bow rise and once on plane bring them back up

In order to switch to DP you just need to change the lower unit to the proper gear ratio.The tops on the SX and DPS_A are the same

sktn77a

Petty Officer 3rd Class

No, the boat doesn't have any trim tabs and yes, the trim adjustment is all the way down.

What's involved with changing the lower unit and about how much do they cost?

spoilsofwar

Lieutenant Junior Grade

What's involved with changing the lower unit and about how much do they cost?

If you have an SX-A drive, a DPS-A lower will bolt right on. Pay attention to gear ratio. If its an older SX-M, I am not sure which lower you can use.

To answer your second question, it costs ALOT. Unless you find a deal somewhere, such as stumbling upon a used lower on ebay or craigslist, the cheapest I have found for a DPS lower is around $3400. That is without props, which will run you from around $800 for aluminum to $1600 for stainless.

As was mentioned previously, trim tabs to include Smart Tabs will help with this issue as well. I run both a 4 blade prop and smart tabs.

BoatDrinksQ5

Petty Officer 1st Class

If you have an SX-A drive, a DPS-A lower will bolt right on. Pay attention to gear ratio. If its an older SX-M, I am not sure which lower you can use.

To answer your second question, it costs ALOT. Unless you find a deal somewhere, such as stumbling upon a used lower on ebay or craigslist, the cheapest I have found for a DPS lower is around $3400. That is without props, which will run you from around $800 for aluminum to $1600 for stainless.

Much more economical to throw some smart tabs and a 4th blade on there. Time to plane would be much improved for a couple hundred bucks and a hour or two.

sktn77a

Petty Officer 3rd Class

As was mentioned previously, trim tabs to include Smart Tabs will help with this issue as well. I run both a 4 blade prop and smart tabs.

Hmmmm......... well, the lower unit ain't gonna happen, then! Sounds like a 4 blade prop might fly, though. I have no idea what's on there right now (other than a 3 blade) or what to replace it with. Are these pretty standard?

Keith

spoilsofwar

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Are these pretty standard?

Keith

4 blade props? Widely used and available and priced similarly to three blade versions. When switching from a 3 to a 4 blade you generally want to drop a degree of pitch. I paid just over $100 for my four blade solas prop from iboats.