Forums

dick

Chief Petty Officer
See we have a new forum...FAQ's.When will the madness end.

OBJ

Supreme Mariner
Re: Forums

Maybe not madness Rich....maybe tryin' ta' lighten the load on the guys helpin in the repair forums??

tylerin

Commander

Exactly OBJ, Try to take pressure off the engine repair forums, but JB has got his hands full til they get that one ironed out. Its meant to post a FAQ "statement" not a question. Hope it works

dick

Chief Petty Officer

What I mean by this is most first time posters come here to get a quick answer and are gone , and lets face it sure there is a post on how and what to do for a first time post but do you really think the majority read it?It just seems to me that we are getting pretty anal here. If you don't think so here are some suggestions for other forums ;<br /><br />-engine years(we could break it down to each manufacture to make more forums)<br />-fuel mixing ratios<br />-Engine tourques/specs<br />-Where can I get Parts( well you found this site on the net didn't you)<br />-Can I use auto parts?(this forum would be used mainly for chastizing the uninformed)<br />-Fuel problems<br />-electrical problems<br />-mechanical problems<br /> or maybe just have a place where you state you question and JB posts it for you.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

I don't think I understand your question, Richard.<br /><br />I've been around here for a long time and seen the iboats Administration evolving the Board to better and better serve boaters.<br /><br />Some questions come back again and again. Helpers frankly get bored with explaining the same thing over and over.<br /><br />The FAQ section will evolve to a read-only set of carefully composed and edited answers to many of those questions.<br /><br />We expect to get contributions from our most expert helpers, then edit them for simplicity and clarity, keeping credit to the originator.<br /><br />When a member has one of those questions they can go there and get their answers, or at least a good start on them, or they may be directed there by other members.<br /><br />Then the member can find immediate, comprehensive help. Time saved, bandwidth saved.<br /><br />If you can, and are willing to, you are welcome to compose a clear, simple answer to a commonly asked question and post it there.<br /><br />Thanks for your interest. :)

SpinnerBait_Nut

So if I understand this subject right, it will be just for engine FAQ's?<br /><br />Not a general FAQ's type of forum?<br /><br />Clarify that for me before I make a post there and have it poofed.

SpinnerBait_Nut

no tylerin, I am serious now.<br />I have an important topic that is asked quite a bit that I can post an answer to, but don't want to if it don't belong.

JB

It says, "ENGINE FAQs", SBN.<br /><br />What part of that do you not understand?

SpinnerBait_Nut

It says, "ENGINE FAQs", SBN.<br /><br />What part of that do you not understand?
Well excuse me all to , errrrr, never mind.<br />Thanks JB.

ebbtide176

Commander

lol<br />JB cuts right down to the nitty gritty. i don't know WTH y'all are talking about, but i bet its just a generalized 'help yourself' place here. as in, avoiding losing members due to boredom of reposting long-thought-out-answers a zillyen times :)

Elmer Fudge

Lieutenant Commander

Great idea, this ought to make it alot easier at trouble shooting.Also how many times do you want to post a website for "What year is this motor"?.

11 footer

Lieutenant

I think its a great idea, I also think some should stop wineing about everything, <br /><br />"seems we are getting pretty anal here"<br /><br />My *** iboats is anal, they started the FAQ's forum to help new members with comon prolbems. . . .all they need to do now is start a forum for people who have a prolbem with everything, then we can help people like Richard come out of their box. :mad:

moderator1

Lieutenant Commander

Ryan T has the answer. We're going through some changes here. To better serve, we think. Stick with us.

dick

Chief Petty Officer

First off JB, you if anyone should know the number of first time poster that want a quick answer and are never heard from again, sure some do come back or even stay but I'm sure that numbers are small. If the MODS feel it's warranted to answer the post then move it so be it just seems like a big waste of time ,just like more forums. And wouldn't it take up more space having a post in two forums then one ?<br />All I did here was state a opinion that at the time I was having a laugh about.I bet It's because I didn't use a Smiley thing that my post is misunderstood.<br /><br />And to Ryan T. <br /><br />What does come out of their box mean ? :) :( :eek: :D :cool: :rolleyes: :mad: :confused:

scamper

Petty Officer 2nd Class

As a new member, I have been helped numerous times and probably have asked a question or two that has been answered elsewhere on this board. However I did get a one on one answer and that to me is what makes this board good. The statement JB made “Some questions come back again and again” would indicate that as far as a business in concerned the traffic would be good. The other half of the statement “Helpers frankly get bored with explaining the same thing over and over”, these people can simply choose not to respond. As recently as today I received a reply from rodbolt that was a page long and took quite sometime to compose. I would bet he has answered that question before. I do understand this board cannot be all things to all people. Just an opinion.

tylerin

Commander

Scamper I don't think your big block questions are FAQ. The new forums are for the repeated questions that someone can go look up w/out posting. If you still like the old forum and want your question answered personally thats fine too. MPO is if people would use "Search" more we wouldn't need this forum but most don't. <br />RYANT, I like you kid but you've been a little harsh lately. Must I say mind your manners and respect your elders