Forgot to trim up while jacking up trailer

Rustycycles

Cadet
I jacked up the trailer to its max height and didn’t realize the skeg had already made contact to the ground. I had it like this for about 5 minutes while flushing my motor. How much damage did I cause? I was also in the boat at some point. 😫 Is the outdrive strong enough to hold up the weight? I just bought this boat and was so excited, I didn’t think ahead.

Its a 07 maxum 1800 with a Merc

Hope to hear some good news 🙏

tpenfield

Staff member
Nice going . . . :oops:

How much damage? All of it. . . Since we cannot see your boat, we don't know.

The outdrives are designed to kick up when they hit an underwater object, so that feature probably prevented any serious damage.

Have you looked at the transom area and the outdrive to see if there are any visible signs of damage? Alpha 1 outdrive (right?)

Any damage to the skeg?

Rustycycles

Cadet
No damage to the skeg. Transom looks fine. The outdrive definitely did not kick up but skeg sat hard enough to leave a mark on the cement.. Also there was something I overlooked upon purchasing, was to check for play on the outdrive. There is very little side to side and up & down play. It’s very minimal, way under an inch. Is that normal? Don’t know if I caused it or if it already existed. I see many posts about excessive play but didn’t find any answers for little play.

tpenfield

Staff member
There will be some play. An inch or less sounds fine. Have you run the boat yet . . . like on a pre-purchase trail or anything like that?

Rustycycles

Cadet
There will be some play. An inch or less sounds fine. Have you run the boat yet . . . like on a pre-purchase trail or anything like that?
Haven't put it in the water yet. But did my due diligence by inspecting everything else based on my research and knowledge. It only had one owner and the outdrive,motor, hull was immaculate. Another reason why I pulled the trigger. I just really hope my clumsiness isn’t going to cost me a lesson.

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner
If the skeg isn't bent you haven't hurt anything. If you did bend it, it will make your steering squirrely and will have to be straightened. Non impact type pressure hasn't been a problem with my boats and there hve been instances...like you forget to tilt up before you pull up the ramp and hear/feel this grinding/bumping noise.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
outdrives are designed to lift the entire boat out of the water by the prop.

so as stated above, if you havent bent the skeg, you only partially loaded it. your fine.