Fords 5.4L V8 Problems

642mx

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Fords 5.4L V8 Problems

Not stupid point at all. What he said was exactly right.

What he said was a typical steriotype. Its like seeing a guy with a Baja throw a beer can in the water and then saying that all Baja owners are drunks who litter.

So all those people that bought Honda Odysseys with bad transmissions, it doesn't apply to any other Honda products.
Ok, the Tacoma frame rusts out not the Tundra. So not all Toyota trucks are junk. But what about the driveshafts on the new Tundra? Or the breaking camshafts?

I have no clue about the Odysseys. But the new Tundra camshaft failure was on the first 20 or so engines produced. They found the problem, fixed it, and even overnight shipped new engines for the handfull of owners who had the failure.

The rusting frame on the Taco is very rare. People up North are the mostlikely to see one. And Toyota should be applauded for taking care of the problem in the manner that they are. When is the last time a manufacture bought back a truck for more than its worth from the second or third owner?

642mx

Lieutenant Commander

You better hire one. Small contractors don't get the "big fleet" discounts and they don't buy the plain Janes either.

LOL. Ford practically gives the F-150 away. I'm sure that some contractors buy loaded F-series trucks, but the majority of them I see are plain white, with steel rims, 2WD, with window cranks and no carpet.

On a side note.... A local UNION contractor has been buying Tundra's like there going out of style. :cool:

JCF350

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I have no clue about the Odysseys. But the new Tundra camshaft failure was on the first 20 or so engines produced. They found the problem, fixed it, and even overnight shipped new engines for the handfull of owners who had the failure.
they started "looking" for more after the 20 were found, haven't seen any claims on numbers (Toyota ain't gonna cop to any) since May 2007.

The rusting frame on the Taco is very rare. People up North are the mostlikely to see one. And Toyota should be applauded for taking care of the problem in the manner that they are. When is the last time a manufacture bought back a truck for more than its worth from the second or third owner?
Toyota don't always act that way.
http://www.consumeraffairs.com/news04/2007/01/toyota_ball_joints.html
an example of bean counting your customers
http://www.consumeraffairs.com/news04/2006/07/toyota_tundra_airbag.html

My first comment in this thread was about "Product bashing" this is the wrong place for it. Because any product can nit picked to death, after all they are built by people right?

Pony

Rear Admiral

If you take the GMC Sierra and the Chevy Silverado (essentially the same truck) I think they outsell the F series.

642mx

Lieutenant Commander

they started "looking" for more after the 20 were found, haven't seen any claims on numbers (Toyota ain't gonna cop to any) since May 2007.

Trust me. It wasn't many more than 20-30 trucks.

Toyota don't always act that way.

Is it possible that Toyota can learn from mistakes?... Ever heard of the Japanese philosophy called 'kaizen'?

My first comment in this thread was about "Product bashing" this is the wrong place for it.

I agree, but your the one googling links for problems with Toyota's..... Maybe its time to practice what you preach?......

Its all good fun. Remember that we are all boaters here. I'm here to learn about my boat, but I'll step up for the company that pays my bills so I can enjoy my boat. Now back to the boats. :D

JCF350

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Don't have to Google Ford's.

Its all good fun. Remember that we are all boaters here. I'm here to learn about my boat, but I'll step up for the company that pays my bills so I can enjoy my boat. Now back to the boats. :D

Agreed!:D:D

Mike Robinson

Senior Chief Petty Officer

For what it's worth, here are my experiences.

I had a 1986 Toyota 4Runner which I sold to my stepson last year. It still runs pretty good after 380,000 kilometers and I never had to do any repairs except normal wear & tear (except rear differential and alternator). It is quite rusty though, some of this is due to driving on the beach.

We bought a 1999 Ford F250 XLT Superduty with the 5.4 liter a little more than a year ago with 130,000 km. Before we bought it we had it checked out at the local dealer who had serviced the vehicle since new and they told us the exhaust manifold gasket needed replacing on the driver's side (a problem the owner informed us about and apparently a common one with this engine).

We took it home and I hired a friend who is a mechanic to repair it for us. When he looked at it he said we also had a lifter noise so he recommended rebuilding the top end which he did. While he had it apart one thing he recommended replacing was the oil pump. When he took the old one off he discovered one bolt was missing entirely! This bolt held the discharge side of the pump to the block and you could see from staining on the metal that oil was leaking here and not going back into the block like it should. Obviously not enough to set off oil pressure alarm but it makes one wonder about quality control. We have also had to replace the heater core and the alternator since we have owned it.

Now let me say that I do like the Ford, we can put a camper on it and still haul our boat with no problem, something we couldn't do with the Toyota. In our experience though, the reliability of the Toyota is superior.

(This only my experience with these 2 particular vehicles and should be taken as such)

dolluper

Captain

I worked on so many Ford's I would never ever buy one...the problems they have all require big work....not like chevy's or GMC's simple stuff like intake gaskets if you find one with the cheapo's installed 1 out of 50

Tail_Gunner

Admiral

Ford's F series pickups have been the best selling vehicle for 20 plus years. They also have a unpparelized reputation in the commerical areana for being effeicent and reliable.

The trition series of motor's everyone is refering to here have been acknowledge as one of the best motor's every to be produced...but when you do the volume that Ford does having some failure's is part of the turf, as evidenced by toyota passing ford in sales, and falling behind ford in quality.

The new toyota truck is a nice little package.....complemented with 350 cu 380 hp engine and then mated to a 4.10 rear end. That combo is going to make a nice pepppy little package... Will it endure for year's to come...that is the million dollar question.

Thinking about that really makes this indvidual wish ford could make it so simple... that is a low volume truck being sold to the retail market alone. Just satisfying the need's of the guy who is going to pull ocasionaly and run to the store or go to work and be very satisfied with just that.

But they live in world where they satisfy business need's as well.....that is why the frame's and suspenion's are over built and expensive.......that is why there motor's are detuned and drive train's are built with econ rather than performance....CAFE std's....There line up is incredible from vinyl seat's...5spd...V8....2WD......4WD...single axle duall axle gas or disel....reg cab or super cab....crew cab short bed or long..... 1/2 ton..3/4...ton....1 ton and beyond....leather ....moon roof....navigation....SYNC...power pedals...memoery seat's....camera's...navigation.....high power stereo with i/pod ........Guess what it would take me quite awhile to compile just how much they offer in the truck market.

All that diversity come's with cost and failure's to. I am not making excuses for them, i will be the first to say they need to cut this complex line up in order to lower cost's and bring the highest level of performance in the market....In a word forget trying to satisfy the world...just limit the lineup amke it the hottest preforming truck avaible...and let us see juist who makes the best truck.............:D

I could go on and on...........go buy japenese or korean or chinese and keep on selling America down the road.... i only hope you live long enough to see the results.

Just a opinion............and your milage will vary..:cool:

JCF350

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Ford's F series pickups have been the best selling vehicle for 20 plus years.
All that diversity come's with cost and failure's to. In a word forget trying to satisfy the world...just limit the lineup amke it the hottest preforming truck avaible...and let us see juist who makes the best truck.............:D
:cool:

Well Ford's claiming 31 years this year.
Really and truly there only 2 Ford truck lines. Light duty and Super duty.
Everything from the F250 Super duty on up has the same frame, just add what you want on the assembly line so there no reason why not to add custom packages in any shape or form. The light duty has it's own assembly line.:D

642mx

Lieutenant Commander

I could go on and on...........go buy japenese or korean or chinese and keep on selling America down the road.... i only hope you live long enough to see the results.

The domestics have done it to themselves (with UAW help, of course). Ford, Chevy, & Dodge has not stepped up quality and value quick enough to compete with companies like Nissan and Toyota. F,C,D has been pushing off junk on the American people for so long that folks are finally seeing the light and spending there money on cars that meet there needs and expectations.

Most will live long enough to see the falling of GM I believe. Its inevitable and coming soon. Ford is not too far behind GM, but they may hold out a little longer. And who knows about Chrysler, they are bought and sold like stocks from Starbucks.

Keep on selling America down the road?...... I don't think so. America is the benchmark on freedom. Freedom to buy what we want, freedom to spend our money on what we feel is right for us. Americans should not feel a "guilt trip" to buy a Ford over a Toyota because of a manufacurers financial situation or companies orgin.

TilliamWe

Banned

I don't feel guilty at all when I don't buy products from a country that attacked us in 1941. Toyotas & Nissans aren't as great as you think, and the truth is out there.

642mx

Lieutenant Commander

Toyotas & Nissans aren't as great as you think, and the truth is out there.

Your right the truth is out there.... Read this:

Influential magazine Consumer Reports has come out with its annual list of the ten best cars of 2007, and once again Japanese automakers have dominated the results. Every vehicle from Toyota and Honda earned at least a recommendation, with the two companies combined achieving seven places in the magazine?s top ten picks. In stark contrast, America?s automakers couldn?t even manage a single spot, a feat they haven?t accomplished since April of 2005.
Consumer Reports? David Champion conceded that the Americans weren?t up to scratch, admitting he ?still thinks Detroit is trailing.? In a strange move, the magazine excluded two categories where US carmakers usually excel, large SUVs and full-size pickups. Champion?s reason was that most of the models in these categories were new to 2007 such as Ford?s new Edge, which was disapproved because of a hard-to-open tailgate.

Credit was given to the big three for beating many European models as well as some Japanese cars, especially in the quality stakes. But Detroit?s automakers were still criticized for scoring low on the magazine?s overall test, which measures the cars with up to 50 different criteria. Chrysler was easily the worst of the big three, coming in second last, followed by GM and then Ford. It?s funny to see publications such as the Detroit Free Press continue to praise America?s automakers even though they rated badly. It?s time the local media started giving Detroit its wake up call.

Follow the jump to see which cars came out on top for each of the ten categories.

Fun to drive - Mazda MX-5 Miata
Small SUV - Toyota RAV4
Small sedan - Honda Civic
Family sedan - Honda Accord
Minivan - Toyota Sienna
Luxury sedan - Infiniti M35
Midsized SUV - Toyota Highlander Hybrid
Budget cars - Honda Fit
Green car - Toyota Prius
Upscale sedan - Infiniti G35

http://www.motorauthority.com/news/industry/japan-on-top-in-consumer-reports%e2%80%99-list-of-best-cars/

JCF350

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I don't feel guilty at all when I don't buy products from a country that attacked us in 1941. Toyotas & Nissans aren't as great as you think, and the truth is out there.

Yep, plenty of folks done been through them "underpowered Toyota's that puked their guts out on the road while trying to imitate a work truck" (a quote from one of my former customers).:D:D:D

BTW I owned an auto repair biz for 15 years, and as far as the number of makes fixed VS the number of cars sold is about equal across the board nobody stands really stands out (but everybody does build a real loser or two once in a awhile:().

rwise

Captain

from what I have read Toyota is the most *American made* truck on the market!
Ford, GM, and Chrysler all have re-branded vehicles. Just because it says *FORD* on it doesn't make it made in the USA!
A friend was totally shocked when his new Ford parts from the dealer came in a Mazda box!:D

TilliamWe

Banned

642mx, you just confirmed most of my impressions of you when you quoted Consumer Reports. Dubious source for "fact" if there ever was one.
You do know they they recommended the Toyota Tundra and said its reliability would be great, without even testing it, right?

TilliamWe

Banned

Ford, GM, and Chrysler all have re-branded vehicles. Just because it says *FORD* on it doesn't make it made in the USA!
A friend was totally shocked when his new Ford parts from the dealer came in a Mazda box!:D

That's not too bad, Ford owns Mazda.

642mx

Lieutenant Commander

642mx, you just confirmed most of my impressions of you when you quoted Consumer Reports. Dubious source for "fact" if there ever was one.
You do know they they recommended the Toyota Tundra and said its reliability would be great, without even testing it, right?

I can quote more sources if you want me to....? :rolleyes:

642mx

Lieutenant Commander

Correct. When you purchase a Tundra, you know it was made right here in the US (either in Indiana or Texas) with 85% or more US content.

bjcsc

Lieutenant Commander

We haven't had a my truck's better than your truck thread in awhile...

Well Ford's claiming 31 years this year.
Really and truly there only 2 Ford truck lines. Light duty and Super duty.
Everything from the F250 Super duty on up has the same frame,

That's a little broad. My F450 and F250 Diesels do not have the same frame, and the F750 surely doesn't. Yet they are all Super Duties...

We had a 1993 F350 4x4 CrewCab LB with a 351 in it. When we sold it, it had 294,000 miles on it. The majority of those towing ~6000lbs +. Never had a major problem...

Every brand has their loyalists and every brand can be faulted for something at sometime. Ford is big down here because they have most of the commercial market, which in turn means better deals for the buyers.

No matter what brand you buy, if you keep it serviced and take care of it, it will perform for you.

Unless it's a Chevy, Toyota or Dodge... (j/k:D)