FORUM RULES UPDATED - The forum rules have been updated to continue to provide a friendly and safe environment for our member community. Please take a moment to review the updated rules and our terms of use and privacy policy. Click here for Forum Rules which has links to the 'terms of use' and 'privacy policy'.
In Other News . . .
You will notice a few enchancements to the forums to make your experience better. These include: Email Notifications, Thread Previews, Thread Starter Notation, and Emoji Options on the 'Like' icon. . .
Additionally, the merchant portions of the website have been updated and are now operational. . . . Check out iBoats for all your boating gear.
That's about the same weight as my 18' Reinell and my '96 Ranger 4 liter pulls it quite nicely. I can definitely tell there is a trailer back there but it doesn't bog down.
Lock out the overdrive, and use a lot of caution when braking. The truck pulls nicely but it's light in the tail.
4 liter Rangers came with 2 different engines, about 5 different drive train combinations and two different wheelbases. Each has a different tow rating with and without tow package.
Find out from Ford what your truck is rated to tow as it is equipped. What other people say or do is irrelevant.
I have a Ford Ranger 4.0 litre auto with factory hitch. It is rated at about 5400lbs. The 5 speed is rated at about 3200 lbs.
Originally I wanted a 5 speed but when I found out the difference in towing I ordered the auto. Mine is an extended cab 4x4 sport 2008. The towing info is in the user manual.
I tow (short distances) an 18.5 foot 4.3 lx bowrider at about 2500 lbs(plus trailer). The Ranger performs well.