Ford Explorer

Copespitter

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I just bought a 1993 Explorer that has a cracked intake valve. The guy I bought it from already pulled the head off so I have a box full of parts. The guy claimed it only has 80,000 miles but it could have 180,000 because the odometer doesn't turn over at 100,000.<br />It's the standard 4.0L v6.<br />I was wondering whats the best way to fix this?<br />Should or can I buy another head from a wrecking yard? Should I pull both heads and have them rebuilt? Should I find another engine?

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member
Re: Ford Explorer

Well iis there a significant carbon ridge in the cylinder walls? How long do you intend to keep it? Is it worthy of a longer life? (the short way out would be a junkyard motor) It might be worth dropping in a Ford long block (factory rebuilt). You can get them very reasonable and they carry a nice warranty. The old engine becomes the core you trade in. <br />If you decide to rebuild the one you have do the entire motor since you are not sure of it's past life. It would be bad to rebuild the heads and spin a bearing or throw a rod.<br />IMO I would do it the right way from the start.

Solittle

Fleet Admiral

I wouldn't put any more money into this than you absolutely have to. Here in Miami you can pick them up for $1,500-2,000 in decent condition. Transmissions are a weak spot on these early Explorers. I had a 93 & the transmission let go at about 72k and my daughter's 94 just had her's rebuilt.<br /><br />I bought mine new. I liked it when I first got it but as time went on I couldn't wait to get rid of it which I finally did last summer.

Copespitter

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Explorers are pretty cheap around here as well. <br />I paid $500 for this one and its nice and clean.<br /><br />I want to put as little money into as possible. I was wondering if I found a good used head for the one side if it would be fine or am I looking at future problems because the head is different then the other side?

Reel Poor

Vice Admiral

Originally posted by Copespitter:<br /> I just bought a 1993 Explorer that has a cracked intake valve.
Does it have a cracked valve or a cracked head?<br /><br />A cracked valve would be unusual, but a cracked head would indicate the enging has ben run hot. If this is the case you may be wasting your money on any repairs to the existing engine. Not knowing the condition of the engine prior to the problem, (or what caused it) and with no way to check it out any further it may be a gambel. If the vehicle is in good shape I would recommend a good used engine.

Copespitter

Petty Officer 3rd Class

The head is off and its clearly a cracked valve.<br />Yeah, I know its a gamble because there might be other things wrong with the vehicle thats why I want to do it as cheap as I can.<br />I can get a used head for about $40 from a local do it yourself wrecking yard but I don't know if a used head with higher mileage will work or not.

BoatBuoy

Rear Admiral

You might check with Ford to see if all recalls were satisfied, not that it makes any difference, but from the info, you might gain a picture of the mileage history.

one more cast

Captain

I think I would take the heads you have to a local vocational school and let the kids do a valve job.

fireship1

Chief Petty Officer

Hello, One More Cast has a good idea. Find a vocational school that has an auto shop class or drip your head off at a machine shop and have them clean, check for cracks (magnaflux) and go a valve job and or replace any burnt or bad valves. I had this done on my Ford Ranger and it cost me about $100.00. If you pick up a head from a boneyard you might be spending only $40.00 or so. But you might be getting a head with small cracks or warpage. IMO the cheapest and most reliable way would be to service the head you have and replace with a new head gasket kit (all top end gaskets in one box) This way you know that you did the job right. :)

dolluper

Captain

A used head for $40 all intact with no burnt valves I would go for it,what do you have to lose ,your time and half a gasket set,oh well that's just me :)