Ford 302 (888) wiring confusion

Jakem

Ensign
I was in boat cleaning up wires and such and I've confused myself. Pertronix dizzy...pertronix flame thrower coil. From staryer solinoid I have yellow wire from s terminal going into wiring harness. I terminal goes to coil positive with a jumper going to electric choke. I've removed resistance wire as told I don't need it. Black from dizzy and brown wire to negative on coil. Seem right?

Bondo

Staff member
I was in boat cleaning up wires and such and I've confused myself. Pertronix dizzy...pertronix flame thrower coil. From staryer solinoid I have yellow wire from s terminal going into wiring harness. I terminal goes to coil positive with a jumper going to electric choke. I've removed resistance wire as told I don't need it. Black from dizzy and brown wire to negative on coil. Seem right?
Ayuh,..... I can't make heads or tails of this post,.......

Yes, there should be a wire from the outer tiny terminal on the starter's solenoid, to the coil's (+) terminal, to by-pass the ignition circuit, while starting,....
On newer motors it would be purple/ red stripe,....

Jakem

Ensign
Sorry I'll try again. The wires to my coil positive side are. One to the choke and one to the I terminal off solinoid and the red from distributer. The negative side has the black from distributer and a brown wire that I believe goes into the wiring harness

Attachments

• 20230326_123427.jpg
    20230326_123427.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 3

alldodge

Staff member
Agree with Bondo, this makes my head hurt

First your using a Pertonix ignition, so do "NOT" look at the original wiring, you have to look at what "Pertonix" want's for wiring.

Not able to use old and new wiring. Only wire to use with full 12V is white

Jakem

Ensign
Agree with Bondo, this makes my head hurt

First your using a Pertonix ignition, so do "NOT" look at the original wiring, you have to look at what "Pertonix" want's for wiring.

Not able to use old and new wiring. Only wire to use with full 12V is white
The white goes to choke..and jumper to coil positive

alldodge

Staff member
The white goes to choke..and jumper to coil positive
Correct

The white supplies full 12V when key is ON
White supplies 12V to choke so it heats it up and slowly opens it as motor starts and warms up
It goes to "original" coil to supply full 12V for starting purpose and once started, "using old points" it changes to 6V thru the ballast resistor

You need to focus on just the new dizzy your installing

alldodge

Staff member
Right back to post 5, not relevant

You have a Pet ignition, and it needs to be wired according to Pet, not the original wiring