force90 1995

ferg57

Cadet
when fogging motor for winter storage i noticed that when i sprayed into the bottom carb even at a high idle motor floods down bad, yet it would not try to die near as bad spraying into the top two carbs, is this how it should be, and if not how would i adjust the carbs to insure all cyl are getting the same amoumt of fuel. ser# of motor is OE123251 model# ho9o412rd. thank you for any help you can give.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
Re: force90 1995

Hmmmm, seems like the top carbs are running a bit lean.<br />Adjustments not to be made without a repair manual to walk you thru it. Adjust main jets, then decide if the carbs need to be sync'd.<br />Could be as easy as turning the screw out a 1/2 turn on top carbs.<br /><br />Member 12'er, had some tips for tuning these, maybe you can search the archives, or maybe he will repost them here.<br /><br />You might try posting another topic, putting the words "carb tuning" and his name "12'er" in the topic. Or go buy a Force repair manual.

12Footer

Fleet Admiral

Or just wait until that lazy 12er pays a visit to his beloved Force forum :D <br /><br />Sorry , y'all.<br /><br /><br />Synchronizing these carbs is a critical thing. As Roscoe informed, a lean condition almost surely exists. By whatever cause, it is slowly grinding the effected cylinders to death.<br />To get a basic idea of what is going on, i would first do a compression test. It could be low compression on the upper cylinders causing lower vacuum,thus lower fuel draw -- and if that is the case, it may be best to address that first. If the compression is good, you'll be able to just adjust the carbs. But again, why did the adjustment vary? They rarely do under normal operation.<br /><br />Could it be an obstruction in the pickup tubes?<br />A bad fuel pump diaphram? restricted fuel delivery?<br /><br />To top it off, these carbs must be adjusted using a set of vacuum gauges, because they must be synchronised. If one burns leaner than the others, it (as mentioned earlier), is causing excessive wear to the jugs it supplies.<br />Any marina or bike shop worth a hoot can sync the carbs for you, or you can purchase the gauges for about 60buks, and DIY, with the directions that come with them.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

Now you know why all my outboards have a single carb. :D

ferg57

Cadet

to roscoe & 12footer thank you for your reply sorry this thank you is so late.i am not the sharpest nail in the sack,yet i thougth maybe something was wrong carb wise. i have a manuel and will try to fix the probleum.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

ain't boats fun? <br /><br />Good Luck. <br />Keep us posted.

rosco_59

Petty Officer 1st Class

Boating is great till you have trouble.<br />Then you just fish.

ferg57

Cadet

roscoe you said to adjust main jets what i read in my manual main jets are fixed 076 top 074 #2,3 did you mean idle screw. also searched force forum for carb adjustments and came up with nothing.also maybe 12footer would be so kind as to tell me were to order tools if i wanted to DIY.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

Guess That doesn't make much sense.<br /><br />Yes, adjust the idle mixture.

ferg57

Cadet

roscoe i would just like to take a minute to thank you for taking the time to help all of us. it is a comfort to know there are people like you who will take the time to help someone like me! thanks again.