Force tilt trim

Frenchy2

Cadet
I have a 85hp force 1989 model # 858f9b serial # 1336. Problem is with the tilt trim. Everything works fine until motor is put in gear with the motor titlted up. Motor will slam down against trim cylider in forward and will tilt all the way up in reverse. When boat is out of water and motor is tilted up I can force motor back down.But to do it I have to put all my 230lbs and my wifes weight combined to do it.So you see it takes a lot of force to push it down.I bought a force manual and did the recomended leakdown tests. Both test passed I even did each one overnite to give it plenty of time.The tests are used to determine which part is bad trim cylider,lift cylider or pump.I can push the motor down manually during each test. The fluid level is full .I ran the motor up and down several times to make sure no air is in system.After all this I still don't know which part is defective.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
Re: Force tilt trim

This all sounds quite .... strange.???<br />Hang in there, hopefully someone will have an answer for you.

rl29

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Frenchy: I got a 1987 125hp force and I think this is whats happening to you. I'll see if I can explain this. Here goes. You got two positions on the tilt and trim. If you put the motor all the way down to where it won't go anymore and start lifting it up it goes real slow. This is the trim position. As you keep lifting the motor up it will hit a spot and go up faster. This is the tilt position. I think your in the tilt position when you put it into gear and thats when it slams down. Not good! Always make sure your motor is down in the trim position and I don't think you'll have anymore problems. Also if I remember right as your going along on the water as long as its in gear it won't come up out of the trim position into the tilt when your triming it out. So you don't have to worry about that. So basically always have your motor all the way down when you first start out. I hope this helps. Happy boating.

Frenchy2

Cadet

I understand what you mean. I'm going out today and will try it. I thought you should be able to run the motor when it was tilted up in shallow areas and when loading boat on trailer.As long as water was coming out of telltale. Where i fish the boat launch and channel is very shallow. <br /><br />Thanks for the reply.

duck-n-pond

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I have a 50 force and I can run in shallow water ok. Have not noticed any sort of 'tilt limit' feature but will be interesting to check on next outing. In the meantime, I can tilt the motor quite a bit (keeping it wet) and run shallow, but I never run much more than idle throttle in gear - which to me is the correct speed with the motor up.

Frenchy2

Cadet

Thanks guys. I went out today and all worked well. The tilt will hold the motor up when going slow. I put motor down against trim cylider before getting on it.Guess I have a lot to learn yet. This is my first boat and every time I go out I learn something new. Amazing what you can learn just watching other people.<br /><br /> :)