Force/Gamefisher tell-tail

mjbll

Cadet
I have a 1998 gamefisher 15hp which I believe is the same motor as a force 15hp 94-97.The problem I`m having is where is the water suppose to come from indicating the pump is working.I installed a new impellor but still see no water after about 1 min of running.This motor also has a thermostat which sits on the backside of engine just under cowl cover.The tstat is held in place by a plastic cover and gasket.Could someone explain to me how this setup is supposed to work.I haven`t replaced tstat yet and it is corroded.The motor also has two small rectangular slots under the tstat housing.Could this be the tell tale holes?Help!

WillyBWright

Fleet Admiral
Re: Force/Gamefisher tell-tail

Have a look at www3.sears.com. Bookmark it. Have your model number handy. You can view parts breakdowns there. Print them for your own manual. You'd be looking for a small diameter hose going from the block or head to an exit hole somewhere on the pan. Yours might not have that. If not, there is an exhaust relief port just below the pan on the back where warm water should spray out.

drewmitch44

Lieutenant Commander

i have the same motor. I never understood how that t-stat worked because how it gets installed it looks like it blocks water no matter if the bladder is open or closed. I took mine out and just installed that plastic piece back on without the t-stat in there and it works fine. motor runs cooler but it ran all year like that with no problems. i can get the part number for you if you want i have a manual and a parts diagram. Let me know if you need part number. I plan on just leaving mine out and running without the t-stat.

drewmitch44

Lieutenant Commander

the tell tale is in the middle on the bottom of that piece that holds the t-stat in. A stream of water should flow pretty steady out of there. Its easily seen. With that motor you should run it in a barrel and not earmuffs and a hose. the smaller forces dont circulate water well with the earmuffs.

mjbll

Cadet

drewmitch44 said:
the tell tale is in the middle on the bottom of that piece that holds the t-stat in. A stream of water should flow pretty steady out of there. Its easily seen. With that motor you should run it in a barrel and not earmuffs and a hose. the smaller forces dont circulate water well with the earmuffs.

Ok thanks thats just what I need to know.I replaced impeller but I just sanded the inside of impeller housing,it was corroded slightly.I must need to replace housing ($80) also because I ran it in a barrel yet no tale tale.Thanks