Force engine won't stay at idle in water

Baldguy

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Force engine won't stay at idle in water

Discover,<br /><br />If your boat and shift lever are the same as mine was....pull on the shift lever straight out toward the middle of the boat. You'll know it when you you've got it in neutral, kind of a slight "pop." You should then be able to lift up on the shift lock and move the shifter forward to give gas only, no prop.<br /><br />To start my boat, put the muffs on it, put in neutral, pump the throttle two to three times, leave it about half throttle, push in the key for the choke, listen for the click of the choke plates closing, and then turn the key to crank.

discover

Cadet

baldguy, <br /><br />Thanks good info!<br />Q: do you always push in the key and use the choke , what if the engine is warm to you still use the choke or can that flood the engine

MarkLaird

Cadet

Adjusted carbs. Turned up idle to 1000. Everything was great. No more stalling.<br /><br />Bad news is somehow the darn gauges won't work.. Had a wire burning smell and now the tach,fuel and volt gauges won't work. Probably burn a wire somewhere. Now, another thing to fix!<br /><br />Gotta love these baby's!

discover

Cadet

Always run your blower for 5 minutes incase you have fumes!<br />A boat caught on fire this weekend because he did not turn on his blower!<br /><br />Did you add the seafoam did it help...My Boat is still at the Mech. He has all used parts but I think he charges more than retail!

Baldguy

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Discover,<br /><br />Once the motor is started cold, no need to hold the key in any longer unless you think it's gonna die on ya.<br /><br />When the motor is warm, it should start right up without holding the key in. You're right in stating you'll flood it if you do.<br /><br />Yep....run the blower for at least 5 mins before starting. Also, I'd suggest running the blower when at no wake speed.<br /><br />Remember, these motors are just outboards that are made into a type of I/O. Don't let a mech fool you into thinking that they're that unique in order to charge you more. <br /><br />Additionally, a mechanic down here once told me that most, not all, but most of the parts of the lower unit can be interchanged with parts from an outboard. The outdrive casing is obviously unique, but most of the internal parts are just like an outboard.<br /><br />I took meticulous care of my boat, motor, and outdrive when I had an "L" drive. I had many years of relatively incident free boating with it. I take the same care with the boat I have now. Keep it maintained like you do your cars and I'm sure it will last a long time.<br /><br />Dave