Force engine won't stay at idle in water

MarkLaird

Cadet
I have a 90hp Force L-Drive. The motor runs great and the only problem I'm having is when it's in the water she will not stay running when I try to put her into gear. The idle seems too low. It will idle but it's very low and when I put her into gear it just dies!..Sometimes I catch her just right and she'll move. But it takes alot of restarting to get her to finally take off. If I could just set the idle a little higher, I think I would be OK. It has 3 carbs. How do I adjust the idle? And does this sound like a idle problem?<br /><br />Like I sais it does idle but very low. Stalls when engaging into gear.<br /><br />Thanks!

Oldsaltydog

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Force engine won't stay at idle in water

The carburetor air/fuel mixture screws (one on each), should be turned out about 1 1/2 turns. The idle speed screw (large hex nut) should be set at 800-900 rpm.

MarkLaird

Cadet

Thank you. I'll give it a try. I don't have a manual so I'll have to try and locate it.

wrinspect

Cadet

I seem to have the same problem with my '92 Force 150, let me know if you find out how to fix it, I heard de-carbonizing the cyliners, Bill

Formula1974

Petty Officer 1st Class

did it just start doing this? the carbs wont readjust themselves. When I first got my boat (86 bayliner with 85 hp force) I had the same problem and it turned out to be the exhaust boot (dont know if thats the correct term) If you take the motor cover off and look down toward the pee hole you should see a rubber boot that connects the motor to the outer housing. To test this I learned that if you drop the boat in the water and take the motor cover off it will idle and run fine. What happens is it leaks exhaust into the motor compartment and chokes the carbs with it. I dont know if your motor is the same as mine but I loosened the boot clamps and forced it on more and then tightened the clamp down. I know I will have to replace it sooner of later but it works great now :) Oh yeah anything over idle will force the exhaust out of the hole and it runs fine. It will run fine on the muffs in the driveway.

MarkLaird

Cadet

I have a Force L-Drive. I have replaced the exhaust bellow, If that's what you mean? I have I/O So no motor cover. I'm going to adjust the idle up a lil and use some Seafoam to decarb a lil. I will know this Sunday if it's better.

Scaaty

Vice Admiral

By a manual or get a mechinic to turn the idle up. Or ask the monkey down the street...this AINT rocket rebuilding here. It will be a simple screw with a locknut....

MarkLaird

Cadet

Yeah, I found it. Pretty simple. Not going to adjust it until I get it in the water. Not going to adjust carbs because The motor does run great when it's cruising.

Baldguy

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Mark,<br /><br />I had 90 hp L drive just like yours..... that idle is easy to adjust as the previous posters indicate. <br /><br />You don't need to drop it in the water to adjust however. Put it on the muffs and adjust the idle so that it's between 600 and 800 rpms warmed up.<br /><br />If the motor is a little weak, then you may want to kick it up a couple of hundred rpms, wouldn't hurt anything.<br /><br />The only thing I can think of is that it does this in the water only is that the exhaust has to exit in the water creating a little more backpressure to the engine than when it's just on the muffs. <br /><br />Replacing the bellows is a good thing and kind of tough to do. Keep an extra set around as they tend to crack and open back up easily. I replaced mine one season and two seasons later it was broken again.<br /><br />Hope this helps.

MarkLaird

Cadet

Yeah, That darn hose(Bellows) cost me over $200 for a 2ft piece of hose!..I'm believing your right about the back pressure and that's why the idle decrease's when it's in the water.<br /><br />Also, Does anyone know where I can get the motor relays that raise and lower the motor? It has two and both are worn and the tab's are almost broken off. Had to rig it to work.<br /><br /><br />Thanks for everybody's input!

eurolarva

Rear Admiral

Markland post your model and serial number for your motor

eurolarva

Rear Admiral

YOu can try here for the relays. Everything you need for your motor should be here. These are merc numbers so you can buy them from your local dealer force90LD90A

MarkLaird

Cadet

Thank you eurolarva for your assistance. I checked that site and I can't believe the price they are charging for a exhaust bellows. Over $400<br />WoW!..I just bought one for $212.00 Brand new!..I did see the relays and appreciate the site. <br /><br />I will have to use judgement when buying from this company. But atleast, I got the part numbers and can check locally.<br /><br />Thank you for your help.

discover

Cadet

I have a 90hp force L-Drive with the same problem.what did you do to fix it.and did it work?

wajajaja

Chief Petty Officer

these are the relays i used for trim on my force 125-89, <br /> very good turn around, bought four , have a spare set at this price.<br /> http://www.autobarn.net/hel87401.html <br />if in doubt if they fit call with the old one in hand, and they will work it out.

MarkLaird

Cadet

Discover, Hadn't had a chance to put in water last weekend because of the weather. Hopefully this weekend. What I did was kick up the idle a bit. I plan on gettting some Seafoam to decarb the engine if that doesn't work. Like I said it runs great when I'm cruising. Just hard to keep running when docking or moving out from the pier.<br />I'm going to take it one set at a time. Usually, When I try mutiple things I make it worst! :p <br /><br />Wajajaja, Thank you. If they will work that would be GREAT!! I'll have to call..Thanks again!<br /><br />Thanks

discover

Cadet

MarkLaird, I took the boat back to my mech...we will see what he can do...i think it'a the carbs ..hows your boat doing?<br /><br />Q:bayliner- Capri 1990<br />How do you give more gas to start engine when your still in neutral? On the right panel below the nav lights there is a button acc... something ,the lowest button to the right ,what does that button do?<br />I am not so fimiliar with this boat yet<br /><br />Thanks again!

Schoe

Cadet

Dear everyone, I just had the same problem with a no idle with my 1990 Bayliner, 120hp, L-Drive. After adjusting the idle screws, to no avail, and adjusting the main idle screw, again to no avail, I noticed the lower carb has a screw with a black nylon washer that rides on a flat lever whose movement is controlled by the main idle adjustment screw. The balance of the carbs is maintained by an arm that extends from where the washer and screw attach. The only problem is there is a space of about 1/8 in. between the lever and the washer. The lever moves the washer/screw assembly when the throttle is moved. But with any play between the washer and the lever there will be no idle and the engine will die when put into drive if you can get it to idle. As a temporary fix we used some electrical tape to eleminate the space and apply some extra tension to the lever/ washer and it did the trick until it was worn down, which did not take a long time. I am going to replace the nylon washer with some brass tubing of appropriate size and that will take care of that. Sorry about the lengthy statement but I hope it helps you as it did me.