Force 70hp, starter went out replaced still wont start

eph78

Recruit
Started went out while boating was not engagine the flywheel, starter gear was just stuck. Was able to free it down to restart the motor. When I got back to the dock would starter gear would keep getting stuck. So I replaced the starter, now it lifts and engages the flywheel when turning the key but the engine does not turn over.

I tried one of those spark plug light testers when trying to start it and saw no glow from the tester.

Here is a video of it trying to run, any ideas?

Maybe a stater issue?

Boat and motor are new to us, bought it a month ago, took it out 4-5 times and it ran fine.

Thanks in advance!

CaptnKingfisher

Petty Officer 1st Class
Do you have a safety lanyard style killswitch attached to throttle controller housing? Is the Killswitch engaged?

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
Starter appears to work fine.
Engine turns over fine.

Check spark on all 3 plugs.
Push the throttle forward and hit the fuel enricher.
Let her crank for more than one second at a time.

Diagnose BEFORE spending money on parts.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
Looks like the starter disengages too soon?? ??? Maybe???
The "NEW" starter looks like the junk from China??
Rebuild the one you took off and see if that makes a difference??

eph78

Recruit
Thanks for the replies!

1. Starter is Amazon China Special I think made by "DB" (around $60) it does not seem to stay up as long as the original one when spinning the flywheel.
2. Kill switch is in up position, did not have a lanyard attached or used since the boat was purchased.
3. I tried pushing the throttle forward while the key is pushed in and turning it and it would not move the starter. It seems to only want to turn the starter when the throttle is in the middle position. Tried pushing the key in and can feel the solinod of the choke fuel dump valve actuate.
4. I try to get it to spin longer by keeping the key turned but that is all it spins it until it drops and disengages. The old start I think turned it longer, but had the same symptoms with that starter.

Appreciate the help on this! Only a few months left of the Minnesota boating season!

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
There is a way to throttle up, while in neutral.

It depends on the controls you have.

On some, there is a button in the center of the shifter, push button, move throttle handle forward at least several inches or more.

On other controls, you pull the entire handle away from the control box, then push forward.

This was a must do to start the 2 70 hp forces that I had.

A good starter, say from ARCO, costs closer to $150-$200.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
You have a primer instead of the old choke system.
To use the primer: you turn the key and as you turn you push the key in 1 time and let it come back out.
The old choke system: turn the key and push in as you turn, this closes the choke butterflies and that draws extra fuel into the cylinders.
The primer gives you 1 shot of extra fuel, basically achieving the same results as the old choke.
You shouldn't need to push the key in more than 1 time, if you do then you can flood the motor.
I found to start it, I left it in N then pushed the key in 1 time and tried the starter.
That should make it fire or run.
No start: Then use the fast idle setting on your shifter and try starting again but don't choke or prime it again, you might need to but try to start with only one prime.

eph78

Recruit
Starter and stator replaced now engine starts great. But having issues getting it to the old top speed on the lake. Started a new thread for that.

CJ River Rider

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Looks like the starter disengages too soon?? ??? Maybe???
The "NEW" starter looks like the junk from China??
Rebuild the one you took off and see if that makes a difference??
Jerry,
I just replaced my starter with a "Sierra"branded one and mine doesn't stay up long enough also and am concerned on "cold" stat-ups. How do you rebuild the old one.
BTW, I had to turn the key several times to get it to start.

Thanks

CJ River Rider

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Jerry, scratch request above. Found a local shop that rebuilds them and he can rebuild starters all the way back to old car 6 volt starters.